[PLEASE DON'T TOPQUOTE]

Kenny Donahue <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Ken Ambrose wrote:
> > On Thu, 23 May 2002, Kenny Donahue wrote:
> >
> > > lspci -d1134:1 | /usr/bin/wc -l
> > >
> > > The idea of course is to get the number of our boards in the
> > > system.  the funny thing is, if I log in as root I get
> > >       2    /* Note the 6 blank spaces before the "2" */
> > >
> > > if I log in as my self or ssh into the machine and su to root, I get
> > > 2 /* note NO space before the "2" */
> >
> > Based on what I've seen, and read, I'm guessing that it's spitting out
> > tabs, which then get converted by way of your $TERM variable.  Check your
> > $TERM on the two, and make them the same, and see what happens, 'cause
> > your tabs are probably getting eaten for lunch.

> nope.  TERM=xterm on both
> which xterm
> /usr/bin/X11/xterm
>  on both

What is the output of "env", both when you login on the console and
when you login via ssh?

What shell(s) are you running?

--kevin
--
My sister became some sort of MS Certified Professional today. I knew
she could do it. She's the only person I know who sends me email with

  -- Telsa Gwynne's (Alan Cox's wife's) diary, 2 May 2000, at
     http://roadrunner.swansea.linux.org.uk/~hobbit/diary.html