Benjamin Scott said:
>On Thu, 30 May 2002, at 5:39pm, Bill Freeman wrote:
>> Specificly, should /usr/local/bin or /usr/bin come first in one's PATH?
>
>  I always put "local" first, for the reason you state: I might want to
>override a "factory" program with something else.  (If I need to preserve
>the factory default for some reason, I can always use a different name for
>the local version.)
>
>> I've mostly seen paths set up in the other order.

I've had /usr/local NFS mounted.  If the server is down, you had to
wait for the path traversal to fail on /usr/local.  So in that
environment, NFS mounted directories should be later.

And of course, root didn't have NFS directories in the path.  You'd
often be working on it when the NFS server was down.

Also, we prefixed all the GNU tools with g or gnu.  So gnutar, gnumake, gnused,
etc...  ./configure makes it easy.

>  I think that is because your average OS vendor (or distribution
>maintainer) has a tremendously over-inflated idea of the way they do things,
>and they cannot possibly conceive of a reason you would want to use
>something other than what they give you.  ;-)

Maybe we all suffer from that ;-)

--
-------
Tom Buskey