On Sat, 2002-06-29 at 16:27, Michael O'Donnell wrote:

> I haven't gathered all the evidence in this
> matter as carefully as I might, but here's a
> problem I think I'm seeing: once I've established
> SSH sessions from machines behind my firewall to
> certain remote machines, they die (pretty much to
> the second) after two hours if I just leave them
> idle.  If I establish identical client sessions on
> (instead of through) my firewall machine those
> idle sessions seem to stay up indefinitely.

This would probably be caused by the masq timeout set in your firewall
script. You should have a line like:

ipchains -M -S 7200 0 0

which translates to:

ipchains --masquerade --set-session-timeout-in-seconds tcp tcpfin udp

So, if a session is idle, it will time out after two hours. If the
session is active, it will time out two hours after it becomes idle.

FYI,
Kenny