Bill Haneman wrote:
> Hi Petra:
>
> In the most recent versions of Gnome, assistive technology support is on
> by default.  The access keys idea is a reasonable one, and I think it
> would greatly improve the Ubuntu accessibility experience for screen
> reader and onscreen keyboard users.
Agreed. For the on-screen keyboard we can even do this now because our
new on-screen keyboard does not need AT-SPI to run. Orca will also run
without AT-SPI but only with a very limited set of applications (like
itself). Having a way to dynamically load AT-SPI would be great!
> We have something similar in the
> gdm login screen (though it requires configuring when the system is
> first set up), which allows certain "gestures" to start assistive
> technologies.

I clearly need to look more closely at this. It's a very cool feature.
> I'd be interested to know what your primary complaints with gnopernicus
> magnification are.  It is possible to configure a system for fullscreen
> magnification using gnopernicus, and although the results aren't as
> "snappy" for mouse use as some commercial Windows magnifiers, it is
> basically functional and follows both mouse and keyboard focus (at least
> when properly configured).
We are also working on a compiz-based magnifier which would improve
performance, but unfortunately work is slow on this.

- Henrik