Willie Walker wrote:

>Hi Roland:
>
>Glad to hear the gnome-speech thing just worked itself out without
>requiring mods to gnome-speech.  :-)
>
>Dynamic language detection/switching is definitely an interesting thing
>to consider adding to Orca.  Right now, however, it's not really on the
>core team's radar screen - we're still going to be busy fleshing out the
>really important stuff, such as access to the web via Firefox 3.  In
>addition, we don't have much experience with simultaneously handling
>multiple locales, so we might not be qualified to do the work.
>
>If someone in the community were so inclined, however, to create a patch
>to allow this, I think I'd be happy to review it.  ;-)

In case someone gets motivated, I think the relevant AT-SPI methods (for
determining the language/locale of UI components), and gnome-speech
methods (for determining the locales/langs which a TTS engine can speak)
are these:

Accessibility::Application:getLocale  (the locale of the running app)
Accessibility::Image:imageLocale (useful for determining the locale of
ALT text/imageDescription)
Accessibility::Document:getLocale (for when the document specifies a
locale different from the viewing app)
Accessibility::Text:getAttributeRun (text tagged with a different LANG
will have an explicit LANG attribute)

GNOME::Speech:SynthesisDriver:getVoices(in VoiceInfo) - see
GNOME::Speech:VoiceInfo.language

The latter call to gnome-speech can be used to find a speaker suitable
for a particular locale/lang.

Best regards,

Bill