Brian Cameron wrote:

>Willie:
>
>This agenda looks good, but here are some things I'd like to see more
>focus on:
>
>+ There are many a11y components, and it seems like not many people
>   understand some of them.  java-access-bridge, the registry daemon,
>   etc.  It would be nice to get an overview of how all the components
>   fit together,

I intend to focus on the above in my intro slot.

>and how to approach mapping a bug to the responsible
>   component, and how to debug each component.

That would probably be a useful topic too, if we can find time somewhere.

>+ I think a *lot* of a11y bugs are really the same sort of problems
>   that you see over and over again.  Programs that do not have
>   accessible labels for widgets, for example.  Perhaps it would be
>   useful to pick a few bugs that are examples of the common a11y bugs
>   that exist and do an exercise where we demonstrate the bug (how to
>   see that the bug exists), and then actually fix the bug.  Probably
>   lots of these kinds of bugs are simple 1-line fixes, and if we showed
>   people that it is actually easy to identify and fix these sorts of
>   bugs (if you know how), then perhaps we would find more community
>   involvement in getting these sorts of issues addressed.

I believe our current documents address these issues in some detail (see
the various articles posted in
http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gap/Testing and on the intro GAP
page); a good question would be how to better highlight the existance of
those documents and improve them.

>I think it would be more useful to have two tracks instead of just one.
>One track for people interested in doing development in a11y and
>one for people interested in making their application(s) better support
>a11y.  I think only people interested in doing active a11y development
>would be interested in current a11y gaps.  Probably most people's time
>would be better spent helping to get them to understand how to get more
>involved with fixing existing bugs, and what they should be doing to
>make sure their applications are reasonably accessible.  If we only do
>1 track, I think we should minimze the time we spend talking about
>future pie-in-the-sky things when there is so much work to do just
>getting what already has been implemented to actually work.  I think
>this is perhaps the most important thing, and isn't reflected at all
>in your 3-bullet breakdown of the day...

I empathize with your point but there do seem to be different
perspectives about what the a11y summit should be about.  I am not sure
that a tutorial focus is in line with what the contributors to the a11y
summit wiki have posted so far.

I think such a track would be a great thing to have at GUADEC 2007
however...

regards

Bill