Thanks, just to say I really appreciate this input!

On Sat, May 29, 2021 at 11:29 AM Rynhardt Kruger via
gnome-accessibility-list <gnome-accessibility-list@gnome.org> wrote:

> [...]
> development processes enable it as a default piece of development, and
> application developers and designers put that extra semantic information
> in, such as pointing out that a grid actually bears plain list semantics
> and no special significance to it being a grid in a particular case.
> >
> > Do bear in mind that the potential for robust text reading from images
> has significantly improved since the time that the current accessibility
> paradigm took over, so I am not sure I see a reason it would be "always
> slower" and things like that ― these affirmations are probably not true
> today ― if one embarked on a machine learning project on this.
> >
> > On Sat, May 29, 2021 at 9:52 AM Rynhardt Kruger via
> gnome-accessibility-list <gnome-accessibility-list@gnome.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> I agree with you, it would be a useful fallback. It would never be a
> primary solution though, it is essentially screen-scraping, and would have
> the same disadvantages as screen-scraping approaches that were used before
> accessibility API:
> >>

> >> * Accessibility APIs make it the app developer's responsibility to
> implement propper accessibility, this is by design. App developers know not
> just their app, but also the content associated with it, and therefore can
> implement an accessible experience that may be different from the visual
> layout and yet more efficient for AT users. An example is the list of
> recommendations on Youtube. Visually they are in a grid, but the screen
> reader sees it as a list of headings.
> >> * One of the most important requirements for a screen reader is
> responsiveness. The quicker a blind user knows about an update in the
> interface, the better. Even a slight delay before an announcement may
> result in an interface that feels sluggish. This is why blind users often
> use speech at a very fast speaking rate. A pattern-based approach will
> always be slower than just reading the state via the accessibility API.
> >> * It is dependent on the visual layout, which means accessibility may
> break just because an app got new icons, or a few components shifted
> position. These things are independent from the accessibility API.
> >>

> >> Still, it may be a useful approach to consider for special edge cases,
> and I am interested to see what happens in this space.
> >>

> >> Regards,
> >>

> >> Rynhardt

> Learning) which snapshots the screen or window and is able to extract the
> text from the snapshot image to then read it aloud, might be superior to
> legacy accessibility API paradigms which rely on the application developers
> to interleave "accessibility" (ARIA etc.) information in each and every
> field.

> great fallback to any ARIA-like paradigm.

> this time and age.

> voice services on top a graphical interaction interface, but a lot can be
> done till then by leveraging Computer Vision AI in this space. Sorry again
> that this is not any immediate solution.

  • A Terible Problem with acce... Shadyar Khodayari via gnome-accessibility-list
    • Re: A Terible Problem ... Matan Safriel via gnome-accessibility-list
      • Re: A Terible Prob... Rynhardt Kruger via gnome-accessibility-list
        • Re: A Terible ... Matan Safriel via gnome-accessibility-list
          • Re: A Teri... Rynhardt Kruger via gnome-accessibility-list
            • Re: A... Matan Safriel via gnome-accessibility-list
            • Re: A... Jason White via gnome-accessibility-list
              • R... Bill Cox via gnome-accessibility-list