Hi Simon,

[note to self: it's time to release 2.0.17]

On Tue, 2008-12-02 at 12:03 -0800, Simon Roberts wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to use my palm device (Sony Clie, Palm OS 4.1) with the gnome
> pilot applet to sync with Evolution under Open SuSE 11.0. I've done this
> before with OpenSuSE 10.3, but since the upgrade, it's not working.
>
> I find that the device works just fine with the jpilot application. Pressing
> hotsync causes /dev/ttyUSB1 to show up, and that application syncs just fine.
> However, when I add the gnome pilot applet to my toolbar and go through the
> setup, it gets to the part where it's supposed to do that first sync ("yes,
> I've used this with sync sofware before") and the thing just hangs.

Your issue is almost certainly due to changes in hal that occurred after
the release of gnome-pilot 2.0.15.  Take a look at this recent posting
for more info and a patch:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-pilot-list/2008-November/msg00001.html

You should raise a bug against OpenSuse.

By the way, a workaround is:
1.  kill any running gpilotd
2.  stop hald
3.  configure your palm using 'gpilotd-control-applet'
4.  restart hald

Matt

Matt Davey        "People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for
[EMAIL PROTECTED]       the freedom of thought which they seldom use."
                                -- -Soren Kierkegaard