On Tue, 2011-01-04 at 09:46 +1100, Bojan Smojver wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-01-03 at 17:38 -0500, Owen Taylor wrote:
> > There are going to be improvements for switching between workspaces
> > (see http://jimmac.musichall.cz/log/), but current plans are to keep
> > things a two-level thing - switch workspaces than switch windows.
>
> If I understand things correctly (and this is how the tip of git behaved
> for me), right now it's actually the other way around. If I want to
> switch workspaces, I'm forced to choose a window in another workspace.
> This is what causes by default expose behaviour. No?

I can't correlate this at all with the behavior of Git master.

When you go to the overview in Git master, you see all the windows of
the current workspace spread out before you and no windows of other
workspaces.

You can switch workspaces:

 - by clicking on the workspace squares at the bottom of the screen
 - as a "gesture" by dragging on the background (though this is
   basically unusable because you have to drag on a particular
   part of the background)
 - via keynav

> I'm all for switching workspaces without even touching windows. When I
> go to overview, I'd like my workspaces presented as they are. No need to
> move windows around to switch workspaces.

The overview is our main way of allowing the user to access buried
windows, so I think it has to be primarily about switching windows -
we can't just drop the window switching functionality and make it a
workspace switcher.

- Owen