Please remember to reply to the mailing list, not the original sender:

+++++++++

Hi,

I just installed GnuDIP 2.3.5 and was toying around and
adjusting things when it "suddenly" stopped working. I
couldn't update via web or via tcp... I checked and
noticed that in fact, I wasn't able to make a
successful nsupdate even via command line.

I added "-d" to nsupdate and saw that the error message
said something about not getting a SOA record.

A "host -t soa host.dyndomain.mydomain.com" didn't get
a SOA record but, as far as I remembered, never did.
The SOA belongs to dyndomain.mydomain.com not to
host.dyndomain.mydomain.com.

After a while I remembered I had changed the order of
the nameserver entries in /etc/resolv.conf in the
GnuDIP host.

Originally there was a BIND resolver (not the BIND
authoritative server) and I had put it below a DJB's
dnscache.

After digging enough I noticed the following.

With the BIND resolver I got the following:

> # dnsqr any host.dyndomain.mydomain.com
> 255 host.dyndomain.mydomain.com:
> 97 bytes, 1+0+1+0 records, response, authoritative, nxdomain
> query: 255 host.dyndomain.mydomain.com
> authority: dyndomain.mydomain.com 10 SOA ns1.dyndomain.mydomain.com
>hostmaster.dyndomain.mydomain.com 2002042214 10800 3600 3600000 10

And with DJB's dnscache:
> # dnsqr any host.dyndomain.mydomain.com
> 255 host.dyndomain.mydomain.com:
> 41 bytes, 1+0+0+0 records, response, authoritative, nxdomain
> query: 255 host.dyndomain.mydomain.com

Note that BIND includes an authority section for
whoever has authority to that domain, whereas dnscache
does not.

The point is, if you are using nsupdate, you CAN'T
resolve via dnscache.

Anybody else seen this? I think this is probably
related to the close relationtip between nsupdate and
BIND...