Since many of the people on this list are interested in Open Source
software and its role in business, I would be interested to hear what
people think of the following possibility.

You may recall that MicroSoft had become a giant well before many people
had ever heard of the Internet. MicroSoft was in fact attempting to
establish a proprietary Internet-like service to compete with AOL and
other such services, whose names I can no longer remember.

When it became clear that the Internet was going to dominate, Bill
turned on a dime - bought a company that had a browser (I forget the
name now), renamed it it Internet Explorer, and began a monopolistic
attack on Netscape and any OEM that was shipping Netscape with their
systems (this is a "Finding of Fact" by a U.S. Federal court).

There are signs that Microsoft is (or at least were) using Linux to
support some of their Internet services. Early on people detected "foot
prints" that suggested this, and reported this through the Internet. I
don't believe Microsoft ever denied it.

I suspect the sure sign that Linux has arrived will come when MicroSoft
release "MicroSoft Linux". It is certain to have a fully compatible
Windows GUI environment that comes with it. This will be distributed
only in binary form, and depend on Microsoft Linux package manager.

There will also probably be at least an announcement for "Microsoft
Linux Server" and the promise of an automatic conversion tool from
Microsoft NT to MicroSoft Linux. Tis will convince many enterprise
managers that were considering introducing Linux to wait for MicroSoft.

How long will it be before the general public thinks MicroSoft invented
Linux, and that other versions are just copy cats?

===

If you are only in Open Source software development because you think it
is a way to beat companies like MicroSoft, I think you may be in for a
disappointment.

--
Creighton MacDonnell
http://macdonnell.ca/