By the way, if you do not really require secondary DNS on someone else's network, there is no reason that you have to do this.

Plan A:

Try using ns2.mydomain.com as your other name server, instead of ns1.my-isp.net. Give it the same IP address as ns1.mydomain.com.

If your ISP's web interface insists that you use a different address for each name server, then use plan B below.

Plan B:

In case you doubt that this will work, as a test, get a domain name at dyndns.com and set its address to the address of your one and only name server.

Then at your registrar (and of course in your own zone) use this name in place of your ns1.my-isp.net as your other name server name. You should not have to enter an address for it because it is outside the domain it serves. See the discussion in:

http://gnudip2.sourceforge.net/gnudip-www/latest/gnudip/html/owndomain.html)

If your registrar does insist on an address, enter anything. It won't get used by the root DNS servers.

When you see that this works, you can get a second domain name (it can be anything since noone but you will use it - e.g. aeiou.net) and set up a reciprocal name server thing between them.

Creighton MacDonnell