You are right Jose Lourenço, but I have the following reservations. Loan
words are a natural process in the growth of any language. "janota" is a
Portuguese word for "dandy"! It depends though where, in which part of Goa,
or which religious group (Christian or Hindu) of the common people utilise
which loan-words! Salcete and Tiswadi have been influenced most by the
Portuguese lexical importantion. The same cannot be said of Bardez and even
less of the majority of the New Conquest provinces. Also, the common people
are generally influenced by the use of words by the elites, and an
exagerated use of foreign words that comes in that way due to some political
context could be harmful.
Our great Konkani linguist, S.R. Dalgado, says precisely this in his
Introduction to his classic Konkani-Portuguese dictionary (Bombaim, 1893).
It is a marvellous piece of critical study of Konkani language and I wish
all those who wish to discuss language issue seriously on this forum make it
a point to read it. At the time of the composition of his dictionary he
believes that over 10% of Konkani words in Goa were Portuguese loan-words
and that most of them were unnecessary as there were native equivalents. [
Adoptaram-se muitas palavras portuguesas, quando nao faltavam as suas
correspondentes vernaculas, ou podiam sem difficuldade ser cunhadas com os
proprios elementos" (p. xvii).
Let us not attribute all "sanscritization" to Saraswat conspiracy! Dalgado
already then admits his preference to utilization of sanscrit words or even
Marathi words as a more logical procedure to safeguard the original purity
of Konkani language. And when Fr. Vasco do Rego,S.J., initiated the campaign
for reform of Konkani liturgy in Goa after 1961, he was not pressurized by
the Hindu Saraswats to sancritise liturgical Konkani.
Please refer also to my posting about sh and x when you write "Khushalborit"
 I would prefer to write Khuxalborit", and "soglleank" instead of "soggleank
 I believe that these small details also help creating greater
consciousness and respect for our mother-tongue.
Teotonio R. de Souza