all?
Sender: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I am glad to read that Fr. Mathew Almeida has questioned the current
stereotype of pre-Portuguese Konkani literature (if it existed) having been
destroyed by the Portuguese or Jesuit missionaries. In my own *Medieval Goa*
(1979) pp. 94-95 I had referred to the agraharas / brahmapuris in
pre-Portuguese
Goa, but with references to sanskrit and marathi literatary works found in
Goa, such as volumes of Anadipurana, Mahabharata, Viveka-sindhu,
Yogaraja-tilak, poems of Krishnadas Shama, etc.
I had also referred to the role of Shenvi brahmins in Goa and surrounding
region, often referred by the Jesuit missionary writings as teachers of
hinduism and great obstacle to their missionary drive. These shenvis
operated as village and district clerks  all over the Konkan region
(kulkarni and deshkulkarni). They taught the brahmin youth to read, write
and count. Would not these families have their archives in the New Conquest
region and outside, even after Old Conquest region came under the firm
control of the Portuguese? If they carried their deities beyond the borders
of Portuguese-controlled territory, what could prevent them from carrying
their literary treasures? And the Partagali math (now in Kankon taluka) is a
pre-Portuguese institution and still keeps its pre-Portuguese documentation.
Has Fr. Mathew or Fr. Pratap tried to check the contents of these archives?
I stayed once for three days in 1975 as guest of the Swami, but my main
interest was to consult the village community records, and I was even
allowed by Swami to microfilm a few of his records. But it was too little
time to delve more extensively on the secrets of this archival repository. A
more detailed indexing of the archives was done by G.H.Khare ( of Bharat
Itihasa Sanshodaka Mandal, Pune) and he published an introductory note as
An uncared-for source material for the socio-economic history of the Goa
territory", in S.P.Sen (ed.) Sources of the History of India, Vol.I
(Calcutta, 1987), pp. 447-452. A more thorough checking of the archives of
this math and other maths in the Konkan-Malabar region would be
indispensable for sustaining the arguments of Fr. Mathew.

Teotonio R. de Souza

* Send us a brief self-intro to justify your interest in this
"specialized" forum. This should be     sent to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  or to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
* Send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] (NOT [EMAIL PROTECTED])
* Leave SUBJECT blank
* On first line of the BODY of your message, type:
subscribe goa-research-net [EMAIL PROTECTED]
or
unsubscribe goa-research-net [EMAIL PROTECTED]