Dear Miguel Braganza,
Sender: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

First, thanks for cutting and pasting threads of previous conversations in
your reply to my introduction; they are indeed the kinds of things I'm
interested in reading and discussing.
Second, I hear loud and clear your point about my representing myself
through my credentials.  Immediately it was posted and I saw what
goa-research was about, I knew that I was not being vetted as I had
imagined.   I had known only that one had to submit a statement before one
was accepted into the group; and since I thought it was an academic group,
I  offered the most forceful academic statement I could.  One more word of
explanation:  the only person's name I recognized was Fred Noronha's.  He
participates along with me in a list called FOIL (forum of indian/inquilabi
leftists, depending on how you understand left squabbling).  This group,
which did not require application, has a disproportionate number of
academics (grad students, researchers and profs) as its membership.
Obviously, one doesn't need to be an academic to have thoughtful
intellectual conversation about politics, culture and Goa.  But the word
"research" in goa-research does suggest books and archives.

So, I'll start by addressing the identity question head-on:  what are the
stakes for *you* as a Goa-based Goan in drawing the boundaries tightly, in
calling Goan only someone who was born in Goa?   (Let me be clear:  I
identify myself to Americans as Indian when I first meet them, as Goan
when  I know them more, finally as Goan-origin born in Tanzania; that's
because
no  one here knows Goa.  It doesn't have the same symbolic value as hippie
heaven as it does in Europe.)  So a person who fits the right
biological/ancestral profile, cooks Goan food, maybe even speaks a little
Konkani, is not Goan because, presumably, they left their birthplace or
worse still, live in the US or England (but not Portugal?) and return
every  so often to wave money in the face of the local and call them lazy,
or to
 put their parents in retirement homes where the old folks behave badly?

Obviously, someone who believes that she/he is a member of a group without
doing group work, participating as a citizen, is not one.  But why is the
diaspora something you're unwilling to see as an extension of yourself?
(You say that you were partly educated in Bangalore, which suggests that
Goa  did not satisfy all your scholarly needs.)
As I understand it, people, mostly men, have been leaving Goa for Bombay,
East  Africa and Portuguese Africa, then the Gulf, Bangalore and Delhi for
at
least 75 years.  Mostly for better  employment, or for any employment.  Some
return, most do not.  Many if not  most send remittances.  This is surely
something that should be factored  into a native's understanding of his/her
place?  But why aren't you as
interested in the for this *economic reasons* underlying this migration
pattern?  You're certainly aware of the economic effect, that is,
people returning, staying in hotels and believing that they have the same
stake in the state or state apparatus as you do.  But why no attention to
the cause, to the fact that Goa hasn't been able to provide the economic
or  even educational basics for all the people who it produces?  This is by
no
means a criticism of Goa or even, necessarily, of India.  I'm suggesting
that thinking about structures might be a better way to understand this.

Two more questions:  you don't seem to be as critical of those Goans who
live in Portugal, visit (or return) to Goa.  Is it because they are fewer
in  number, because they aren't as wealthy, or both?  And what is your
understanding of those Goans who went to the Gulf states in order to make
money?  Where do they fit in your model?

sororally,
Susan