Dear Pratap,

I enjoyed your presentation on Friday (April 15) as you competently
confronted more or less popular perceptions of Konkani with established
proposition from the domain of linguists.  As you ended, like one of the
persons who reacted to you, I too wondered: You have identified and spoken
on some tress, but where is the forest? I was a bit taken aback by the
strength and passion you stimulated in your audience though not so much by
the substantive issues raised. I have been thinking about all this since.

This letter to you is catharsis of sorts for me and much more than that too.
I cannot but take you seriously also because I am empathetic with your
concern and demand that a 1000 Konkanis should bloom and that in the current
dispensation Sashti,  Malwani, Romi, etc.  have been short changed.

I identify with you when you began with explaining ‘myth’ expressing some
fundamental ‘truth’ (meta reality) and so also that they nevertheless
represent interests, political interests. On the other hand ‘myth’ is also
opposed to ‘fact’ (reality). “Myth” therefore elicits highly ambivalent
meanings. Myth can mean an utter falsehood and, on the contrary, a sacred
truth. It is this deep and profound play between that which is not real and
is at once meta real (yet to be real?) that gives myth its power – an
indispensable necessity for human aspiration and survival.

In your presentation you chose to limit yourself to only one meaning of myth
i.e. the Myth of Konkani as opposed to the Facts of Konkani. What was the
proposition that informed the construction of most of the ‘myths’ you
identified? It seems to me your underlying thesis   (correct me if I am
wrong) is that ‘Konkani has been and is an instrument of Saraswat hegemony’.
I go along with that too. However to me the many myths you identified that
support the hegemony proposition are as much myths in the more profound
(meta reality) sense and not in the sense that they are contrary to facts.
Let me explain with some illustrations:

Myth IV.7 is ‘Shenai Gőybab awakened in us the Konkani identity’. You
challenge this by arguing that Gőybab’s influence was on only one particular
community. Valid as this is, it is also true that once the Saraswats aligned
their own identity with Konkani, like any dominant group they also sought to
create a pan Goan Konkani identity by offering their language dialect as the
most refined marker of that identity i.e. at a time when the politics of
creating geographical boundaries demanded unique cultural identity markers
it is precisely the Saraswat’s who used their Konkani to win the support
(arrive at a consensus or compromise) of non-dominant groups around Konkani
as language and culture of the region. This was indeed a movement of
resistance against the effort to erase any identity for this region by
submerging it in Maharashtra . Clearly it was the dominant community that
had to lead such a movement of resistance and it was done rather
successfully. Today Goa as political and cultural entity (however much
contested and unfinished it may yet be) owes its existence in large measure
to the construction of Konkani as a language and culture and the origins of
this lie in the works of Gőybab. (The seminal works of orientalists such
Cunha Riviera or Dalgado important as they have been, seem to have lacked an
organic relationship to the community that could have exercised such
dominance). Hence Gőybab emerges as the icon of this identity. The fact that
Gőybab may not be popular and that his writings are unfamiliar even to some
of best known Konkani writers is simply not at issue (How many of the
workers who died for communism read Karl Marx or for that matter how many of
those who swear by Christ read the Bible or even the New Testament for that
matter). An icon’s ideas are diffused through the people even while the
people may never know the origins of the idea they live by and with. If
Gőybab enjoys a mythic (meta real) status, it is indeed well deserved.

Like so many other hegemonic language movements, Konkani in the hands of the
dominant groups, too finds itself using the tropes (styles of discourse)
provided by modern evolutionary theory, perhaps best exemplified in theories
such as those of racism. The existence of a ‘pure’ (Myth I.7, I.16) or
standard (Myth I.8, I.15, Myth II.2) or quality (Myth II.2) forms as opposed
to corrupted (Myth I.10, I.12), drawing extraction from high pedigree (Myth
I.1, Myth I.3), long lineage (Myth II.4,5 & 6), the superiority of the
written over the oral (Myth I.9 – a rather too obvious give away of the
hegemonic groups and Myth II.1 which also suffers from this trap), and a
more recent addition due to the compulsions of democracy exaggeration in
numbers (myth I.2 and myth II.3)

The point is not whether these statements you termed myths have historically
or linguistically (or by any other science) been verified. Rather the manner
in which these statements are deployed is what we need to look at. They all
go to bolster one proposition: One language, one script and one literature
will unite Konkanis (Konkani speakers -Myth IV.11) and that the obvious,
natural and only legitimate candidate is what we now call the standard and
official Konkani. This is precisely how the hegemony of the dominant is sort
to be sustained.

The fact that a number of writers and award winners are not from the
Saraswat community only goes to show the partial success of the hegemony. My
favorite example of the partial success of the hegemony is the story of my
student friend (once a seminarian) who speaks, reads and writes competent
Sashti and communicates with his wife and mother in that language. But with
his thre children (aged beween 4 months and 6 years) he insists on speaking
English. He told me that when his children go to school they will learn the
pure Konkani (as against the illegitimate language left with him through
conversion) and besides his children need to know the language of their time
(English) and by speaking to them in that language he was giving them a head
start. (as he saw it, his choice of language with his children was a win-
win choice). Hegemony works precisely in this way i.e. where the subordinate
groups willingly (?) consent to the values of the dominant groups and
thereby surrender their own history and subjectivity. I recall as a child,
my father often reminding me that our Konkani was not ‘pure’. (Interestingly
 if I remember right he has never really understood why the ‘pure’ Konkani
could not be written in Romi and must be written in Nagri) As an adolescent
I did make an effort to mimic what I thought was ‘Anturzi’ and felt proud
that I by talking the bare minimum could occasionally hide my less than pure
Konkani and so also my identity – but away from such poor consolation there
was always the haunting question: why did I have a less than pure cultural
lineage as compared to some others. Sure I could learn but then there is
always a difference between the one that learns and the one that naturally
performs by sheer virtue of birth and that difference hurts. (Sure enough
too, my own disposition and hurt was also brought on by my own low self
esteem. But than, I have seen this hesitancy even among the best of us i.e.
those who have the best markers of personal and social success and so also
recognition for their work in Konkani – somewhere at some point the
experience of a void pops up: – the lack of pure Konkani.)

I have since learnt that the problem lay not with the language but rather
the way in which it has been constructed: that underlying such constructions
of purity, lineage etc. being superior is a racist development paradigm
inherited from the enlightenment. In particular that National (and regional)
concepts of culture that seek to present unity are doomed to surrender
hegemony to dominant groups who have the where with all to acquire consensus
from non dominant groups. The argument for a unified and uniform language
(or identity for that matter) is itself suspect. That identity remains
contested, incomplete and unfinished and must remain so, How else shall we
live ‘other’ wise? That purity is the mode of ensuring sterility. The
hegemony that Konkani suffers is in turn the hegemony of the enlightenment
over the non western peoples. That challenging the hegemony in Konkani is
therefore challenging also the intellectual discourse that make such
hegemony possible.

Saraswat language hegemony must be challenged and contested because it
relies on tropes that are outmoded and irrelevant (I have suggested rather
racial in their connotation and denotations) and so also because it debases
a significant section of the ‘Konkanis’. This in no way denies the
contribution that the hegemony did achieve and that was much, including
providing us the space through which today we can contest that very hegemony
 A concern expressed is that this line of thinking is that this is divisive.
But then I also see it as uniting by making spaces for some of the
sentiments and groups that have hitherto been excluded as mentioned by
Narayan Dessai in his thesis and so also as you have elsewhere identified in
Ramnath Naik’s ‘Goveachea Bhashavadamagil Karashtqan’.

The relationship between identity hegemony and resistance is articulate
succulently by Teotonio, relying on Boventura de Sousa Santos:

When someone speaks about one's own identity, reactions to hegemonic
relationships in a society are necessarily implied, or there is always an
implied feeling of subordination. In fact, someone in a hegemonic position
rarely cares to raise questions of self-identity. The questions arise from
those who seek self-assurance and recognition from the hegemonic group or
groups. From a successful response to the questionings results usually a
foundational interpretation that transforms the limitations of self-image
into a surplus of self-projection. Such foundational interpretations are
produced by creative and inspired native figures that seek to represent
their people. Tagore did it for India, and apparently also for Bangla Desh,
where also his poem was chosen to be the national anthem. Camőes and
Fernando Pessoa did it for Portugal. We in Goa could think of Varde
Valaulikar (1877-1946) or of T.B. Cunha (1891-1958) as representative
figures of Goan identity builders. Their cultural creations seek to surpass
time-limitations, absorbing the entire past and projecting the image into a
limitless future. The resultant identity appears then as a solid
construction with roots into mythical and undated past, and with an
assurance of resisting challenges of the present and the future.
From: "Goan Identity: One, Many or None"  by Teotonio R. de Souza
at  http://www.goacom.com/goanow/2001/jan/goanidentity.html
In confronting what you called myths with facts, you seem to ignored the
other profound meaning of ‘myth’ as meta reality. You presentation came
across to me at times as similar to the performance of some rationalist
movements: They try to debunk Sants and Saints by organising shows where
they reveal that the miracles performed by these religious people are simple
or not so simple tricks (fictions) performed by magicians. In so doing, they
hope in vain that the common man will give up his ‘belief’ and surrender to
science and reason. These efforts are in vain because they seem to
completely deny the existence of myth as ‘fundamental truth’ (meta reality).
In this sense, in our time, Science is the greatest myth (in both senses).
In so far as you did not analyse the myths of Konkani as meta realities, you
came across to me as having ignored the seminal contribution of linguistics
to our understanding of myth. You therefore may have been more of an
activist rather than a linguist at work during that particular performance
on April 15. Some suggested that you were belittling Konkani – certainly you
have worked too long in, for and about the language to have even the
remotest interest in doing so. If at all there was any belittling it was
that of linguistics and myth.

Let a thousand Konkani(s) bloom!

I am sharing this letter with others who may be interested in theme that we
are discussing.
With regards.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to write to you and for listening to
me.

alito

* Send us a brief self-intro to justify your interest in this
"specialized" forum. This should be     sent to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  or to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
* Send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] (NOT goa-research-net@goacom.com)
* Leave SUBJECT blank
* On first line of the BODY of your message, type:
subscribe goa-research-net [EMAIL PROTECTED]
or
unsubscribe goa-research-net [EMAIL PROTECTED]