The 16th century Portuguese grammarians, João de Barros and Fernando
Oliveira, sought to work out “standards” for the teaching of the vernacular
in Portugal. Barros tried his methods upon the princelings at the royal
court. Both were convinced of  the linguistic imperialism, and Barros more
than Oliveira, was convinced that the Portuguese should replace the Romans
in such a mission. He regarded the Portuguese language as the eldest
daughter of Latin. However, he was not an advocate of "classicism" and of
using archaic words and expressions, but rather in favour of employing those
which had been naturalized by long usage in the northern province of Minho e
Douro, which region he regarded as “preservative of Portuguese seed”! Barros
also approved of incorporating various Asian and African words, those which
were already naturalized by 1539, and others which we can be found scattered
in his “Decades”.
The Portuguese missionaries shared this spirit of linguistic imperialism.
Let us not forget that the Portuguese Church Padroado was a tool of the
Portuguese expansion overseas. It is understandable therefore, as Dr. José
Pereira invokes in a recent posting on Goanet, that there was a standard
Konkani during 16th to 18th centuries. Curiously, the Portuguese “liberal”
politics (if it had anything of “liberalism” with respect for freedom and
equality of rights, as the common folk may wish to understand it) it should
have been easier to sustain and strengthen Standard Konkani after 18th
century! Perhaps the new spirit of  European imperialism generated by the
Industrial Revolution (which hardly touched Portugal till very recent times)
was responsible for the destruction of Standard Konkani that was promoted
until then by the Portuguese colonial interests?
We know it from the early writings of the Portuguese missionaries that they
looked upon the “xennoy” Brahmins as the local intellectual / religious /
burocratic elite. Hence, the missionaries  sought  to neutralize their
influence among the natives by imitating and superseding their cultural
talents, including their linguistic domination. That may explain why the
“xennoy” standards got promoted! When the xennoys themselves were cowed down
or won over to replacing their traditional linguistic tools (writing village
records in “Konkanized Marathi” in Goymkanadi script  as village kulkarnis
and shannbog, in favour of Portuguese language, the “xennoy” standards
survived only through the missionary imitations! The Inquisition pressures
and the post-Tridentine spirit did their part in reducing and eliminating
the need of these missionary imitations.
The question now remains: Which and whose “standard” should Goan konknni
adopt in our days? We may need to answer: Which are the new dominant  (
“imperialist” ) interests that can dictate or  promote a “standard” konknni?
 Would it be acceptable to revive the  “xennoy” standard that was sustained
and promoted by the Christian missionaries and the Portuguese administration
when and while it suited them? I do not believe that there is  any academic
response that is waiting to be put into practice. It is a part of the
dynamics of the political and economic reality as it is evolving on the
ground. The Goa Konknni Akademi, the Dalgado Akademi, and other such bodies
may all represent the melting pot of Goan cultural evolution today. My hunch
is that a "standard" that utilises preferentially (I am not for abandonment
of the native scripts) the roman script may reach further and do better in
our cyber-globalized world and wide intercultural mingling.  The
xennoy-missionary" standard of the 16th-18th centuries can serve us as a
good model of our past history for working out a compromise solution that
could bring together, rather than divide the Goans in their
linguistic-cultural efforts.
Teotonio R. de Souza
Sender: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

* Send us a brief self-intro to justify your interest in this
"specialized" forum. This should be     sent to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  or to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
* Send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] (NOT goa-research-net@goacom.com)
* Leave SUBJECT blank
* On first line of the BODY of your message, type:
subscribe goa-research-net [EMAIL PROTECTED]
or
unsubscribe goa-research-net [EMAIL PROTECTED]