Dears,

The oHERALDo of Monday 08 May had a report on page entitled "Konkan Fruit
Fest disappoints many". It had a colour photo of fruits [ not from the KFF]
and was highlighted with a yellow background screen. The report itself was
rather bland and non-commital except for the comment about the various
fruits on display " But nothing for sale." There were indeed choice Alphonso
mangoes in  'one dozen' fruit packs with Ravi Mangal Agro Pro Combine and
20-pack Malcurada and 24-pack Kesar mangoes for sale with Arolkar Mango Farm
as also local Malcurada fruits by the dozen with two Self-Help Groups led by
Pratima Dhond and Amol Morajkar.

The varieties displayed by the University of Agricultural Sciences-Dharwar,
ICAR-Goa and Dr.B.S. Sawant KKV's RFRS-Vengurla were obviously not for sale.
Some persons may have been disappointed at not being able to take these
fruits home. I am sure there are persons who feel likewise when they go for
the Lakhme Fashion Week or the Gladrags event and would like to take one of
the pretty models home ;-)  . Even at the World Trade Mart one does not get
a multiple entry visa to the USA or Cayman islands or the Carribean islands,
or even a cheap ticket on British Airways to one of these destinations, much
as one might want it at that moment. The events are to be benchmarked
according to their objectives, not the fantasies of the visitors.

The heading of the report is an unfair comment when the Director of ICAR,
the Chairman of the Western Ghats Kokum Foundation and the Secretary of the
BSG have put in so much effort to bring these institutions to the Konkan
Fruit Fest.

 Had the criticism been directed against me, I would not even have bothered
to respond. I have been on record that the oHERALDo is sometimes not
original even in its editorial column, let alone its reportage. The comment
"...but there is scope for more." can also be applied to the quality of the
said report. If one cannot applaud the selfless work done by voluntary
organisations and their members working in tandem, one should at least hold
one's peace.

For the record, the 4th KFF was organised by the BSG and CCP in association
with a number of other organisations with the theme TEAM: Together Everyone
Achieves More.

Viva Goa.

Miguel