JOURNALISM OF COURAGE – ARUN SINHA STYLE

Why does Arun Sinha feel so threatened that he has dubbed the Goan Observer a cancer that must be cured by “a careful operation for the removal of the malignant part of the otherwise healthy media”? BY RAJAN NARAYAN.

WHY HAS the Editor of The Navhind Times, Arun Sinha, who specializes in writing odourless, colourless, flavourless editorials, been so vehement about Goan Observer - presuming he is referring to Goan Observer in his editorial “Taxi Press” which appeared on Tuesday, November 21? Why does Arun Sinha feel so threatened that he has dubbed the Goan Observer a cancer that must be cured by “a careful operation for the removal of the malignant part of the otherwise healthy media”? It is typical of the journalism of cowardice that the likes of Arun Sinha practise that he does not have the guts to name the Goan Observer or the “highly corrupt retired or serving member of the All India Civil Services who might have been in his days being chased by the CBI and repeatedly sought the shelter of the main stream press to protect him”.

It would be obvious to those who have read the GO report on how the prosecution was prevented from appealing the order of the Children’s Court Judge dismissing the case of molesting a minor that Arun Sinha’s attack is provoked by the fear that the case against him will be reopened. It will be recalled that GO had reported that the Chief Minister vetoed the unanimous recommendation of the Prosecutor, the Chief Public Prosecutor, the Advocate General and the Law Secretary that the grounds for dismissal of the case against Arun Sinha were questionable and the decision should be challenged.

DISMISSED CHARGES
THE Children’s Court had dismissed the case against Arun Sinha, who had been accused of molesting his minor maid servant on two grounds. The Judge had opined that while he was satisfied that the evidence produced before him gave rise to some suspicion, it doesn’t amount to grave suspicion against the accused. Consequently it would be fully within his right to discharge the case. The Judge added that “in exercising his jurisdiction under Section 227 of the Code, the Judge under which the present Code is a senior and an experienced Court cannot act merely as a post office or a mouthpiece of the prosecution but has to consider the broad probability of the case, the total effect of the evidence and the documents produced before the Court, any basic infirmities appearing in the case and so on. This however does not mean that the Judge should make a roving inquiry into the pros and cons of the matter and weigh the evidence as if he was conducting a trial. On the basis of the statement made by the victim girl, I am of the view that her statement gives rise to some suspicion but the suspicion is not grave enough to justify further proceeding with the trial against the accused. I therefore am satisfied that there is no prima facie evidence on record for the purpose of framing of charge against the accused for the offences under Section 364 of the Indian Penal Code”.

CHILD LABOUR
IN respect to the charge of employing a minor the Judge stated, “the records of this case clearly indicate that the victim girl had completed 14 years of age. This being the position, the provisions of Section 7 (6) (c) of the Goa Children’s Act 2003, cannot be invoked in this case. I therefore find that there is no prima facie evidence on record for the purpose of framing of charge against the accused for the offence under Section 7 (5) ( c)”.

The Judge also held that there was no prima facie evidence on record for the purpose of framing charges against the accused for the offence under Section 8(2) of the Act. As on the basis of the statement of the victim girl, it is not possible to hold that the accused had sexually touched the body of the victim girl with the use of any body part or object.

The NGO, Children’s Rights in Goa, represented by its Director, Venicia Cardoso, has filed a Criminal Revision Appeal in the Bombay High Court at Goa on August 25, 2006, on the grounds that the order of the Judge discharging Arun Sinha was erroneous because the Court failed to appreciate that there was a good prima facie case disclosed against the Respondent No. 1 (Arun Sinha) on the face of material on record under Section 354 of IPC. That the Court failed to see that prima facie case against the Respondent No. 1 (Arun Sinha) is also made under Section 7 and 8 of Goa Children’s Act 2003. That the Court failed to appreciate that the prima facie case is also made out against the Respondent under Section 374 of IPC.

REVISION PETITION
THAT the conclusion arrived at by the Court that criminal recourse as required under Section 354 is not disclosed is erroneous. That the conclusion of the Court that the ingredients of Section 354 of IPC are not proved is incorrect and improper. That even assuming that provisions of Section 7 and 8 of the Goa Children’s Act are not attracted in the present case, the Court ought to have tried the Respondent (Arun Sinha) under Section 374 of the IPC. CRG has stated in its petition challenging the discharge of Arun Sinha that the lower Court judgement and order is erroneous, bad in law, illegal, incorrect and improper and therefore the State of Goa should have filed an Appeal or Revision against the judgement and under Section 34 of Goa Children’s Act but has not chosen to do so. The Revision petition, besides making a plea for setting aside the order of the lower Court, also seeks a direction to issue a warrant of arrest of the Respondent No. 1 (Arun Sinha ) during the pendency of the Revision.

People living in glass houses, particularly senior editors, who claim to be model journalists should conduct themselves in a manner not just to be above suspicion but must be seen to be above suspicion. By taking resort to innuendo instead of having the gumption or the guts to mention the Goan Observer and naming of the various people he has slandered in his editorial, Arun Sinha has only exposed his contempt for journalistic ethics. Not to mention the fact that he is a cowering coward who is unwilling to confront the truth about himself.

When good and honest and honourable men are falsely accused they have no hesitation in approaching the media. The retired IAS officer referred to by Arun Sinha in his editorial did not approach the main stream media to protect him. He approached the mainstream media of which I was then a part of, to expose the slander campaign being carried out against him by some vested interests who were unhappy about his rectitude while he held a senior position. He had even supplied relevant information to the press and requested them to publish it in case vested interests managed to make false accusations in the press against him. Unlike Arun Sinha, he did not resort to a vicious campaign of anonymous emails against sections of the media including Goan Observer who reported the fact that he had been accused of molesting his minor maid servant.

For the information of Mr. Arun Sinha, the officer concerned was completely exonerated by the CBI of the false complaint, after a preliminary enquiry. All that the Goan Observer article on the Arun Sinha case objected to was executive interference to subvert the judicial process. The question is why is Arun Sinha so agitated and nervous about the possibility that the order of the Children’s Court will be challenged and the case may be reopened.

We do not create reports merely to provide sensation to the minds of the reader. We do not resort to “creative journalism”. We practice the journalism of courage. Unlike Mr. Arun Sinha we have never hesitated to mention names. We are not afraid of mentioning names because we are confident of our facts. We do not bend let alone crawl unlike the Arun Sinhas of the world. What distinguishes us from so called mainstream journalism is that we are not vulnerable to pressure either from politicians in power or from advertisers. Because the objective of Goan Observer is to tell the truth and not make money. Public interest and not profit is the rationale of the Goan Observer.

Thank you Mr. Arun Sinha for the back handed compliment “All art lies in the writing craft. Just as a successful politician relies on a good tongue so does a thriving taxi pressman rely on a good pen One’s conmanship draws from his oratory, the other from his inky acidity”. We will leave it to the readers to decide whom these words apply to.

TAXI VERSUS TONGA

BY MANOHAR SHETTY

THERE’S one sure way of ruining your English - read the editorials in The Navhind Times. Prepositions routinely go haywire and the definite article is regularly misused, imbuing the language with a peculiar North Indian flavour. The punctuation is sometimes eccentric and the general tone is of one habituated to an ivory tower. Local issues are often blithely bypassed to accommodate ‘burning’ national and international issues. Unless, of course, the issue is the Editor Himself. Then the Editor Himself responds with alacrity and a give-away defensiveness. An editorial in ‘The Navhind Times’ of November 21, 2006 is a case in point. Titled ‘Taxi Press’, the editor Arun Sinha (I assume since he is the editor, he writes the editorials - or at least most of them) fires a broadside at ‘the black and yellow publications’, clearly in this case the Goan Observer. The editorial implies plainly that the editor Rajan Narayan (without naming him directly) can be ‘hired’ by the ‘highest bidder’ for ‘serving personal ends’. Such newspapers, says Sinha in his inimitable fashion, are ‘creating reports merely to provide sensation to the minds of the reader’. Further, Sinha implies that Aravind Bhatikar, a highly respected and upright retired civil servant, is ‘highly corrupt’ and that he ‘may hire the services’ (read the services of Goan Observer) ‘to snipe at someone who might have refused to help him get a lucrative project’. Again, Sinha has not directly named Aravind Bhatikar, but the libellous nature of his motivation becomes abundantly clear to any reader who has read Bhatikar’s article called ‘Camouflaged Delays for Political Expediency’ which appeared only a few days earlier in the Goan Observer of November 18.

In this revealing article, Bhatikar raises the issue of the child molestation case against Sinha and points out step by step how government officials and the Chief Minister Pratapsingh Rane prevaricated and allowed the case to die a slow death and remain buried under a pile of paperwork. Even a cursory reading between the lines reveals to any reader how the rule of law can be prevented to apply to a person enjoying some influence and political patronage in a small State like Goa . ‘In this particular case,’ wrote Bhatikar, ‘the government is guilty of indiscretion and impropriety.’

In response Sinha (and by implication his proprietors, publishers and printer and other newspapers) vows to take a ‘pledge’ to ‘dismantle the taxi press’, meaning the Goan Observer since Sinha believes that it can be hired like a taxi and must be prevented from spreading its ‘inky acidity’. Such papers, Sinha denounces as ‘a cancer we must cure by a careful operation’. He even ridicules the readers of such newspapers as ‘people with no regard to values’. (Only readers of The Navhind Times have values!). These papers, Sinha sermonizes, are ‘very dangerous and unhealthy to the society’. What then of ‘healthy’ newspapers which fall chronically ill and silent when confronted with uncomfortable truth? However, continuing in his typical lingo, Sinha concedes ‘All art lies in the writing craft’, a virtue not too evident in his own newspaper. What we have instead is a colourless paper, which causes instant indigestion on a daily basis at breakfast tables across Goa , casting aspersions on a colourful—and courageous—periodical. Surely this ‘Model State’ deserves a high quality daily newspaper. Meanwhile, this reader who has ‘no regard to values’ would rather hitch a ride in a taxi than in a ghoda gadi.