Dear Adv Viegas, Thank you for your note. My responses are below.

Kindly also let me know which precise posting you are referring to,
and which lines of the posting you believe to be defamatory. In the
meanwhile, I will look into the facts of the case, to ensure that no
injustice is done and yet, at the same time, to do my duty in
maintaining the right of the media to express itself without being
unnecessarily restricted.

The cases for which you are now issuing legal notices to organisations
and individuals through cyberspace, have been reported widely in the
print media in Goa. GoaJourno is a mailing list meant to discuss media
issues and concerns in Goa. It is in this context that we carry
media-related discussions. You are welcome to visit the archives
online.

(Kindly note however that a mailing list is different from a website,
and to call Goajourno a website would be factually and technically
inaccurate. Mailing-list archives are seldom if ever "updated" in the
sense of posts being deleted; only new posts are added as and when
these come up.)

In addition, I would also be thankful if you could send me a copy of
the judgement under which you client was found not guilty of the
charges filed against him, to help us journalists understand the
issues involved, the response to the same, and how this affects the
possibility of the case being discussed within the media.

May I also request you to please send us your side of the story. We
will carry it with equal prominence.

Your clarification on which particular posting you are referring to
would also help, as your client has been covered in a number of posts
in connection with the child-sex-abuse case. [Including reports such
as this, which throw up a conflicting picture: "German national Gunter
Backman was set free as the witness turned hostile."
http://www.indiadaily.org/entry/paedophilia-no-adequate-protection-for-the-indian-child-yet/
]

Let me state unequivocally that I do believe in the right to reply and
fairness to all concerned. But at the same time, I am not in favour of
needlessly censoring content posted on the Net which itself was
started as a space for free expression. --FN

PS: Your earlier post to Goajourno mailing list did not reach there,
possibly because of technical reasons and the fact that you are not
entitled to be subscribed to this closed for-journalists-only list
(and hence cannot post to it). However I will share it with the list,
as you intended, and also to keep the media fraternity aware of the
issues involved.

PPS: I remember my correspondent days while covering the 1989-90
elections, when the political party you were then associated with, had
complained of booth capturing in one area of Curtorim assembly
constituency. Four of us mediapersons rushed along with you and Adv
Radharao to investigate and write about the same, against the powerful
forces of the time. My hope is that you will likewise continue to
encourage the functioning of the free (but responsible) press, both in
the case of the traditional media and the (online) New Media.

RESPONSE TO YOUR NOTE:

1. Please let us know which precise text you consider defamatory. As
mentioned above, mailing lists archives are never "updated" (in the
sense of deleting earlier posts), but only new posts are added to the
same. Kindly also let us know if any of the facts mentioned in the
said post are factually incorrect.

2. I would appreciate if you could send me a copy of the text of
Judgment and Order dated 27/01/2006.

3. The "failure" to "report" the acquittal of your client was neither
deliberate nor malafide, as Goajourno is neither a newspaper nor a
newsagency operating with a budget to cover the news. We are a
volunteer network that is operated on the basis of volunteers raising
media-related issues. If your client supplies us with the relevant
information, we would be more than happy to carry the details of the
judgement in his case, with equal prominence.

4. Kindly let us know which statements and comments you consider defamatory.

5. I reiterate that Goajourno is not a newspaper, a mailing-list for
journlists, meant to discuss media-related issues, and concerns
arising thereof. As such, we are neither constrained nor mandated to
only post only "news".

6. I will not comment on Jan Ugahi's merits or motives. If I recall
right, the same organisation was being blamed by journalists for not
doing enough on this case.

7. Please request your client to give his version of the case, and we
offer to carry the same.

8. We await your comments on the issues above, before it is possible
to take a suitable decision, in the interest of fairness in journalism
and also the functioning of a free media.

Frederick Noronha
Independent Journalist

---