Greetings. I have just updated my blog <http://oaopenaccess.wordpress.com/> for
your interest.

A few Religious Studies articles showing up in SAGE Open open access “mega
journal”; reviewers being solicited
<http://oaopenaccess.wordpress.com/2012/05/11/a-few-religious-studies-articles-showing-up-in-sage-open-open-access-mega-journal-reviewers-being-solicited/>

The other day I received an email from a librarian colleague who is also a
scholar in New Testament. He considers himself an “under-employed Ph.D.,” by
which I gather means having the academic credentials but not a full teaching
position. I don’t know the circumstances of his situation, but I do know he is
not alone. Professorships in Biblical Studies are notoriously difficult to come
by.

His email was interesting on a number of levels. He was asking, as someone who
is trying to establish himself “as a competent scholar,” why he should consider
open access instead of trying to get his articles accepted in “well-known and
prestigious journal[s].” He was also curious about copyright issues with open
access.

These are important questions that I want to follow-up with in a subsequent
post. In this post, however, I want to write about the specific situation that
prompted his questions. A couple of weeks ago he received an unsolicited
invitation from SAGE Publications to be a reviewer for their new open access
journal, SAGE Open. He had never heard of SAGE Open. He wanted to know what
this was all about.

As always, your comments (posted to the post) are welcome.

Gary F. Daught
Omega Alpha | Open Access
http://oaopenaccess.wordpress.com
oa.openaccess @ gmail.com