Thank for this Michael.

The PEER project page says that the aim of the PEER project is:

'PEER (Publishing and the Ecology of European Research), supported by the EC
eContentplus programme, will investigate the effects of the large-scale,
systematic depositing of authors’ final peer-reviewed manuscripts (so called
Green Open Access or stage-two research output) on reader access, author
visibility, and journal viability, as well as on the broader ecology of
European research.'

In this the large-scale, systematic depositing of authors' final peer-reviewed
manuscripts is equated as 'Green Open Access'.  If I used 'green open access'
as a short-hand for 'large-scale, systematic depositing of authors' final
peer-reviewed manuscripts' is is only because the PEER project does so itself!

For third of the pieces of evidence I reported, that having a green paper in
the PEER project drives usage on the publishers' site, I explicitly said:

There is evidence that green OA through the PEER project actually drives usage
at the publisher site. (Emphasis added)

so following Dr Rowlands caveat exactly.

The PEER project set out to discover the effect of Green OA on journal
viability - it has discovered no negative effects.  The PEER project set out to
discover the effect of Green OA on reader access - it has discovered evidence
to suggest that there is increased readership.

I do hope that we can get past the ideology and accept the results as they are.

David