On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 3:46 AM, Arthur Sale <a...@ozemail.com.au> wrote:

*SH:* (9) (10) *I'm hoping RCUK may still have the sense and integrity to
> fix its policy [by] extend[ing] and strengthen[ing] UK's cost-free Green OA
> mandates… instead of [just] squandering scarce research money to pay extra
> for pre-emptive Gold OA...*

> *AS:* "As to (9) and (10) I was taking the point of view of a systemic
> bureaucrat (aka devil’s advocate)…. it simply ain’t going to happen soon...

Don't lose hope just yet, Arthur. I have received the following
(unofficial) response from a member of the group planning the
implementation of the RCUK policy:

"I have been following the email debate which you have instigated and as
part of that the suggestions you have made… The points you have made are
quite clear and will be taken into consideration whilst we work on the
detailed implementation of our policy."

And there's the EC policy, which is already extending and strengthening its
Green OA mandate. And there's FRPAA pending in the US. And there's all the
universities and research institutions of the world.

Yes, it's been a long slog, much too long. But it ain't over yet!

Stevan Harnad