  From: Stevan Harnad
  To: Global Open Access List (Successor of AmSci)
  Cc: LibLicense-L Discussion Forum ; Lib Serials list
  Sent: Thursday, April 04, 2013 8:21 PM
  Subject: [GOAL] Tony Hey's Optimistic Prediction for Open Access

  Tony Hey: "A Journey to Open Access" Part 6
  The Open Access Revolution: The Next Steps...

  Excerpt:

  ...We now have OA mandates coming from both the Legislative and the Executive
branches of the US Government. The White House memorandum covers both research
publications and research data and requires the relevant Federal Agencies to
deliver a plan within six months from February 2013. It is noteworthy that both
the White House memorandum and the bi-partisan FASTR bill require green open
access via repositories and say nothing about gold—in contrast to the approach
preferred by the Finch Report and by the Research Councils in the UK. For more
commentary on both FASTR and the White House memorandum see Peter Suber’s
blog...

  ... Back in the UK, some re-thinking of Finch and RCUK’s OA policy is taking
place. A recent review by the House of Lords criticized RCUK for failures in
communication and for lack of clarity about its policy and guidance. Prior to a
more complete review of its policy in 2014, RCUK issued a revision of its Open
Access policy on 6 March 2013. The major change was that there is now an
explicit statement that although RCUK prefers gold, either green or gold is
acceptable. The Department for Business, Innovation and Skills (BIS) has also
launched an inquiry into open access which has yet to report. Finally, on 25
February, the Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE) is
consulting the research community on ‘the role of open-access publishing in the
submission of outputs to the post-2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF)’.
For non-UK readers, the REF is a research review process conducted by HEFCE,
the major UK university funding organization, to determine national university
and departmental research rankings. Their intent is ‘to require that outputs
meeting the REF open access requirement (whether published by the gold or green
route) shall be accessible through a repository of the submitting
institution’....