Happy 20th Birthday World Wide Web! You made open access possible
<http://wp.me/p20y83-Kt>

My concept of the world changed on a cold November evening in Brandon,
Manitoba, 1994. I attended a public information meeting put on by a new company
(I forget the name) that called itself an “Internet Service Provider” (ISP, for
short). The company was offering access to the Internet, a global system of
interconnected computer networks, upon which I would be able to send and
receive electronic mail, and most intriguing, browse across and between pages
of text and image documents (hyper)linked together into a “world wide web” of
freely and readily accessible information. The sell was accomplished simply by
providing a live demonstration. I was totally captivated.

The next day, I drove down to the local computer store and bought a
SupraFAXModem 14400 to connect my Apple Macintosh Classic computer via the
telephone line to the Internet. I got a 15-year old kid in town to supply me
with a 3.5″ floppy disk loaded with the necessary TCP/IP and PPP software, an
email client, and a copy of the NCSA Mosaic web browser. After just a couple
phone calls to that same 15-year old kid to help me troubleshoot some initial
configuration problems, I was on! (Incidentally, that kid went to work for
Apple Computer at the age of 17.)

…

Gary F. Daught
Omega Alpha | Open Access
http://oaopenaccess.wordpress.com/
Advocate for open access academic publishing in religion and theology
oa.openaccess at gmail dot com | @OAopenaccess