On 2013-05-02, at 4:28 AM, Fotis Georgatos <fo...@mail.cern.ch> wrote:

> On May 2, 2013, at 9:17 AM, Andras Holl wrote:
>> Regardless however right you are, Elsevier's play with words succesfully
>> confuses
>> a large number of authors, who do not deposit because of this.
>
> It is the role of research institutes and university boards to step
> forward and make an emphatic statement about the status quo and,
> how their subordinates/affiliates are expected to behave. Taxpayers
> do not have an excuse of confusion when they make their contributions
> so, that puts some responsibility on the individual authors, too.
>
> btw. -sorry if the question has been asked again over here-
> is there an open ranking list of universities worldwide
> as regards the clarity of their messaging in relation to Open Access?

Dear Fotis,

We have done a study testing the correlation (positive and significant)
between the strength of the institutional Green OA mandates in
ROARMAP and the number of deposits in the repository.

An earlier preprint is below. An updated version will be posted
shortly. Details available from Dr. Yassine Gargouri:
<yassinegargo...@hotmail.com>

The Liege mandate, the strongest, has a deposit rate of over 80%.
The Liege model -- immediate-deposit (ID/OA) designated the
mechanism for submitting publications for performance review --
is now being adopted more and more, with UK's HEFCE/REF
proposing it also for funder mandates.

Best wishes,

Stevan

Testing the Finch Hypothesis on Green OA Mandate Ineffectiveness

Yassine Gargouri, Vincent Lariviere, Yves Gingras, Tim Brody, Les Carr, Stevan
Harnad

(Submitted on 30 Oct 2012 (v1), last revised 2 Nov 2012 (this version, v2))

We have now tested the Finch Committee's Hypothesis that Green Open Access
Mandates
are ineffective in generating deposits in institutional repositories. With data
from ROARMAP
on institutional Green OA mandates and data from ROAR on institutional
repositories, we
 show that deposit number and rate is significantly correlated with mandate
strength
(classified as 1-12): The stronger the mandate, the more the deposits. The
strongest mandates
generate deposit rates of 70%+ within 2 years of adoption, compared to the
un-mandated
deposit rate of 20%. The effect is already detectable at the national level,
where the UK,
which has the largest proportion of Green OA mandates, has a national OA rate
of 35%,
compared to the global baseline of 25%. The conclusion is that, contrary to the
Finch
Hypothesis, Green Open Access Mandates do have a major effect, and the stronger
the mandate, the stronger the effect (the Liege ID/OA mandate, linked to
research
performance evaluation, being the strongest mandate model). RCUK (as well as
all universities, research institutions and research funders worldwide) would
be
well advised to adopt the strongest Green OA mandates and to integrate
institutional
and funder mandates.