From: goal-boun...@eprints.org [mailto:goal-boun...@eprints.org] On Behalf Of
Heather Morrison
Sent: Thursday, October 03, 2013 11:43 AM
To: Global Open Access List (Successor of AmSci)
Subject: [GOAL] Scholars jobs not publisher profits

My reaction to the EBSCO report on expected ongoing high price increases by
some in the scholarly publishing sector at the same time that academics at my
alma mater have been asked to consider voluntary severance has been posted to
my blog:
http://poeticeconomics.blogspot.ca/2013/10/scholars-lets-keep-our-jobs-and-ditch.html

My conclusion:

It is time for scholars, university administrators and research funders to wake
up and realize that creation of new knowledge is done by researchers, not
publishers. Don't give up your job or or let your colleagues give up theirs
without demanding that the large commercial scholarly publishers give up their
30-40% profit margins.

best,

--
Dr. Heather Morrison
Assistant Professor

http://www.sis.uottawa.ca/faculty/hmorrison.html
heather.morri...@uottawa.ca<mailto:heather.morri...@uottawa.ca>

ALA Accreditation site visit scheduled for 30 Sept-1 Oct 2013 /
Visite du comité externe pour l'accréditation par l'ALA est prévu le 30
sept-1 oct 2013

http://www.sis.uottawa.ca/accreditation.html
http://www.esi.uottawa.ca/accreditation.html