Very true, Jean-Claude. It is the sole value of the subscription publishing
industry is that it does not cost the author or his/her institution
anything. Cost burdens are pushed on those who can pay (but have
second-order interest in paying). Institutional presses and professional
societies address this situation differently, with subsidies.

I believe that Gold journals will behave like page-charge journals always
have: make exemptions for authors and countries that are impecunious. This
does not distort the market too much. The market is less that of journals
competing for author copy, but more of authors seeking value for money in
journal dissemination. But, of course, we aren’t there yet.

I decline to extend this discussion to objective measures of journal quality
such as JIF, SJR, SNIP or Eigenvector.

Best wishes

Arthur Sale

University of Tasmania