brent...@ulg.ac.be writes

> The only way researchers can be convinced is through mandatory
> pressure from the funders and/or the Academic authorities. And the
> only way mandates can be imposed is through the research assessment
> procedures. Everything else lingers or fails.

  I beg to differ. Researchers can also be convinced by the fact that
  publication in a toll-gated journal means that there is no
  readership for their output. And precisely that happens if libraries
  cancel subscriptions.

  Of course mandates are useful. But the uptake of mandates has been
  so slow that, at current speed, we can wait for centuries to achieve
  open access. In the meantime, the publishing industry can use the
  subscription revenue bonanza to effectively lobby for any change to
  be on its terms.

--

  Cheers,

  Thomas Krichel                  http://openlib.org/home/krichel