Dear Wouter,

There is a lot to say in support of more tranparency. For any system to succeed
it will need wide adoption. So perhaps Elsevier and Thomson Reuters could join
forces here and decide on a commonly used system to be comprehensively
available in Scopus as well as WoS and preferably on a open platform (Scimago?
DOAJ?) as well.

A problem will be the nested nature of this star rating. What about e.g.
qualifying for 5 but not for 4 stars when a jounal has open but anonymous
review reports? And there are other examples where this nesting will prove to
be problematic. Why not just publish the transparency data without turining
them into a ranking or rating system? Of course the data should be available
for downloading, filtering, sorting etc.

best,
Jeroen

PS Personally I would also applaud Scopus if it used paper/chapter submittance
dates instead of or along with publication years. Publication years are often
not very useful for dating content.

Op 23 dec. 2013 om 22:12 heeft "Gerritsma, Wouter"
<wouter.gerrit...@wur.nl<mailto:wouter.gerrit...@wur.nl>> het volgende
geschreven:

Dear Claire and other members of OASPA, COPE, DOAJ & WAME

Paper is patient. Journal will explain that they do peer review, double blind,
whatever you wish.
But I think you should award journals for their degree in transparency for the
peer review process.
http://wowter.net/2013/12/24/towards-five-stars-transparent-pre-publication-peer-review/

Yours sincerely
Wouter Gerritsma