Hi!

Mitar here. One of contributors to the PeerLibrary project. I would
like to address comments made about the project.

> My own perspective is that the user name "general crap" (I'm not making this
> up, it's copied from the PeerLibrary collection) says it all.

:-)

Names of collections can be made by any user. This is the idea behind
community operated site. Maybe names reflect the site, maybe the
content in the collection. Who knows. ;-) The site is still in
development so I would agree that some parts of it are like that. But,
this is a normal thing when one is trying to build a free software
alternative to current closed platforms. Not everything can be done
well immediately.

But if you have more concrete feedback to give us, please. We love
feedback (both positive or negative) so that we can guide our
development. It is free software (AGPL licensed) and you can also open
tickets (we prefer tickets so that they are archived as part of the
development process and that the community  can be involved in them,
but I would not want to move discussion away from this list and this
community):

https://github.com/peerlibrary/peerlibrary

> It might be worth noting that one of the partners behind PeerLibrary,
> Mendeley, is owned by Elsevier.

Just to be clear. PeerLibrary is completely independent project from
Mendeley. We are planing to use their API so that users can access
their data they have made in Mendeley with an open platform. And their
API license is CC-BY, so to satisfy their attribution requirement we
put the logo on the about page, just to be clear of any issues, not
wanting to argue if their data can be CC-BY licensed at all to being
with.

Because this feature is not yet implemented at all and because it is
signaling the wrong message (as I am seeing), I have removed logo for
now:

https://github.com/peerlibrary/peerlibrary/commit/c031be9fecdb1a349a20d622e831a6f1df5c209d

Thank you for pointing it out.

If you are interested in learning more about the team and motivations
behind the project, I am inviting you to see this video we made:

https://vimeo.com/93085636

Mitar

--
http://mitar.tnode.com/