On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 2:41 PM, Heather Morrison <
heather.morri...@uottawa.ca> wrote:

> I'd be interested in hearing what people think of PeerLibrary. My own
> perspective is that the user name "general crap" (I'm not making this up,
> it's copied from the PeerLibrary collection) says it all.

I'm writing in support of PeerLibrary. It is quite inexcusable to describe
it is "crap" - it's a high quality project with worthy motives. I and
colleagues are working closely with PeerLibrary in projects such as
contentmine.org.

> It might be worth noting that one of the partners behind PeerLibrary,
> Mendeley, is owned by Elsevier.

Mendeley is not behind PeerLibrary. Aspersions of this sort should be
checked.

and ...

"Thank you for your comments, Mitar. My question has more to do with
whether some in the open access community see this kind of initiative as
the purpose of OA, and the justification for efforts to force all scholars
and open access journals to use the CC-BY.

If this is the point of CC-BY, then I think we need to have a discussion
about the implications and desirability of this kind of project."

For us PeerLibrary is about making an Open resource, especially of the
bibliography.  There is no de facto Open Bibliography of scholarship - and
Peer Library aims, inter alia, to do this. In ContentMine we need an Open
Bibliography to consume the global literature

Any preference for CC BY content (and I did not see this as an emphasis of
the project) is likely to result from restrictions. At present only CC-BY,
CC-BY-SA and CC0 content can be legally copied into global public view
without fear of violating rights. This is one of the major downsides of
CC-NC - domains such as Germany could regard public posting of NC documents
as not for "personal use".

So, far from being "crap", PeerLibrary should be welcomed.

--
Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics