From: goal-boun...@eprints.org [mailto:goal-boun...@eprints.org] On Behalf Of
Heather Morrison
Sent: donderdag 30 april 2015 2:42
To: Global Open Access List (Successor of AmSci)
Subject: [GOAL] Elsevier (and other traditional publishers) and PLOS

Elsevier has much in common with Public Library of Science: both are scholarly
publishing organizations, focused on science, and in my opinion both
aggressively advocate sometimes for the best interests of scholarship, but
often primarily for their own business interests.

If policy-makers are aiming to help traditional publishers like Elsevier
survive in an open access environment (a goal I am not sure we all agree on),
then in formulating policies it is important to keep in mind some very basic
differences.

PLOS was born digital and open access and with a full commitment to open
access. Traditional publishers like Elsevier have a legacy of works under
copyright and a business model that involves selling rights to these works and
integrated search services (rather a lot of money at that). In the case of
Elsevier, this involves millions of works over a long period of time. Even if
every single article Elsevier publishes from today on were open access, this
would not impact previously published works. Unless I am missing something
there is no business model for Elsevier to provide access to these previously
published works free-of-charge. This means that traditional publishers like
Elsevier are very likely to have to continue with a toll access business model
even if they move forward with open access publishing. This is an essentially
different environment from that of a full open access publisher like PLOS. It
is not realistic to assume that a traditional publisher that must maintain a
toll access environment will behave in the same way that born open access
publishers do. PLOS was started from a commitment to providing works
free-of-charge. Elsevier and publishers like Elsevier have thrived in a toll
access environment, and will have to maintain a toll access environment. There
will be far more pressure and incentive to revert to toll access for
traditional publishers than for PLOS. This is why arguments along the lines
that PLOS has been around for a while, therefore there are no problems with
CC-BY, don't necessarily apply to a publisher like Elsevier.

Elsevier, unlike PLOS, does have its own suite of value-added services such as
Science Direct and Scopus. When friends of PLOS say there is no reason not to
grant blanket commercial rights to anyone downstream, I think it is important
to remember that this represents the perspective of one type of publisher.
Other journals and publishers either provide value added services themselves,
or receive revenue from providers of such services, e.g. payments from journal
aggregators.

Note that while Elsevier has no incentive to provide access to previously
published works free-of-charge, they are a green publisher and so authors from
recent years can make their works published with Elsevier freely available
through institutional archives. This is one thing green open access can achieve
right now that gold OA cannot. I'd like to acknowledge that Stevan Harnad has
been right on this point for many, many years.

I'm still signed on for the Elsevier boycott, in case anyone is wondering:
http://thecostofknowledge.com/

best,

--
Dr. Heather Morrison