From: goal-boun...@eprints.org [mailto:goal-boun...@eprints.org] On Behalf Of
Walker,Thomas J
Sent: Sunday, January 10, 2016 10:11 PM
To: Global Open Access List (Successor of AmSci) <goal@eprints.org>
Subject: [GOAL] Status of OUP/ESA copyrights on PDF files of journal articles
that were never copyrighted

I am trying to understand the business plan that Oxford University Press (OUP)
has for the subscription journals of the Entomological Society of America
(ESA).  In doing so,  I found notices of copyright on abstracts of ESA articles
from 1908 forward.  For example, see this abstract of an article published in
1908 in ESA’s Annals: http://aesa.oxfordjournals.org/content/1/3/179​.

You will see under the title of the article a DOI followed by “First published
online: 1 September 1908”, a claim that is difficult to square with the history
of the internet.

·         Beneath the abstract is this claim to copyright: “© 1908
Entomological Society of America.”

Question:

Do those who make PDFs of journal articles that were never copyrighted have a
valid claim to a copyright of their PDF of the article?

Tom
Thomas J. Walker
Department of Entomology & Nematology
PO Box 110620 (or Natural Area Drive)
University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32611-0620
E-mail: t...@ufl.edu<mailto:t...@ufl.edu>     FAX: (352)392-0190
Web: http://entomology.ifas.ufl.edu/walker/