The Ingelfinger Rule is dead and buried. No publisher can require a
researcher to keep their findings secret. They can report them at
conferences and post their unrefereed preprints whenever they like.

(Authors can voluntarily comply with a press embargo on an accepted paper
until publication, but that's irrelevant to HEFCE, which requires deposit
within 3 months of acceptance: No *Nature* press embargo is anywhere near
that long.)

Harnad, S. (2000) Ingelfinger Over-Ruled: The Role of the Web in the Future
of Refereed Medical Journal Publishing. Lancet Perspectives 256 (December
Supplement): s16. http://cogprints.org/1703/

Closed access deposit of the author's final, accepted draft is absolutely
none of the business of the publisher, has nothing to do with copyright,
and certainly provides not the faintest of grounds for "pulling" a
publication. Neither does public notice of a scientific conference and its
papers (and abstracts).

HEFCE and HEFCE authors: Steer the course. This kind of FUD has been
floated for decades now and deserves your contempt, not your concern.

Here are a couple of flashbacks from yesteryear:

http://www.eprints.org/openaccess/self-faq/#publisher-forbids
http://www.eprints.org/openaccess/self-faq/#10.Copyright

*Stevan Harnad*