From: Sridhar Gutam <gutam2...@hotmail.com>
Date: 21/07/2016 13:39 (GMT+01:00)
To: goal@eprints.org
Subject: [GOAL] Submission to UGC (India) on IF, DORA and DOAJ

Dear All,

As you may be aware that the University Grants Commission (UGC) has set up a
committee under the Chairmanship of Dr. V.S. Chauhan, Member, UGC and former
Director, ICGEB (New Delhi) <http://www.ugc.ac.in/page/commission-members.aspx>
to prepare the list of journals in which authors should be publishing in-order
to gain score for Academic Performance Indicators (API) system. It is reported
that this attempt is being made to address the sub-standard publishing by the
authors from colleges/universities. It is also mentioned in the news that they
may use give weight-age to the journal’s Impact Factor. (Source:
http://www.thehindu.com/features/education/tight-norms-soon-for-journal-publications/article8657169.ece)

On the other hand earlier in December 2012, The San Francisco Declaration on
Research Assessment (DORA) <http://www.ascb.org/dora/> an initiated by the
American Society for Cell Biology (ASCB) had put forth a recommendation that
“the need to eliminate the use of journal-based metrics, such as Journal Impact
Factors, in funding, appointment, and promotion considerations” and had asked
the individuals and organizations to sign the DORA declaration
<http://www.ascb.org/files/SFDeclarationFINAL.pdf>.

It is seen that taking call from DORA, DBT/DST might have mentioned in their
Open Access policy that they are not going to consider Impact Factors in career
assessments, promotions or appointments (of individuals in research and
academics)
<http://www.dst.gov.in/sites/default/files/APPROVED%20OPEN%20ACCESS%20POLICY-DBT%26DST(12.12.2014)_1.pdf<http://www.dst.gov.in/sites/default/files/APPROVED%20OPEN%20ACCESS%20POLICY-DBT%26DST%2812.12.2014%29_1.pdf>>.

I therefore, I would like to submit to you all my proposal of writing to UGC
and Dr. Chauhan that as the DOAJ is improving in terms of quality and services,
UGC may consider in giving weight-age to the DOAJ Indexed Journals while
recommending the List of Journals and also not to consider Impact Factors for
the assessment/appointments/promotions.

Please reply with comments/suggestions.

Thanking You

With Kind Regards
Sridhar

​Sridhar Gutam, PhD, ARS<https://sgutam.wordpress.com/>
Senior Scientist (Plant Physiology) | ​Associate Editor, DOAJ<https://doaj.org/>
​​<https://doaj.org/>
 | Convener, Open Access India<http://openaccessindia.org>
ICAR<http://icar.org.in/> RCER Region Research Centre
Ranchi<http://icarrcer.in/>
Tata Road, Rajaulatu Post, Plandu, Ranchi 834010, Jharkhand, India
Phone: +91-651-2260141 | Fax: +91-651-2260101 | Mobile:+91-9005760036/8005346136
Skype: sridhar.gutam | Twitter: @SridharGutam<https://twitter.com/sridhargutam>
​​

Official Email: sridhar.gu...@icar.gov.in<mailto:sridhar.gu...@icar.gov.in>
Scholarship<http://works.bepress.com/sridhar_gutam/> |