Heather, others,

let's not mix things up. Copyright is not intended and useful to make
provenance chains in scholarly communication reliable, complete and efficient.
The norms of attribution in science and scholarship are separate from copyright
or public domain status. There are created, maintained and changed through
disciplinary cultures, not laws. Intellectual property laws are different in
different parts of the world. If what you say is true we would have witnessed a
huge problem with scholars using but not citing e.g. government documents, out-
of copyright works, public domain dedicated works etc., which is not the case
as far as I know. Copyright and licenses given by the holders of copyright tell
us what the copyright holders and the law allow you and what not. They do NOT
tell you what is expected or accepted in academia or science and scholarship in
general.

The choice to allow or prohibit use with a commercial intent is for every
rights holder or author him/herself to make. But please note that choices made
on the basis of your dislike of Elsevier have the effect of disallowing (re)use
of your output by e.g. any self-employed or retired scholar giving lectures for
money and using e.g. images created by you. They can also have the effect of
university teachers of commercial summer school courses of those universities
to reuse of distribute your work among 5 students in their class. With the
increasing abundance of publications, data, images, code etc this will often
mean they will use other material that fits their needs 95% instead of your
material that would fit their need 100%. They will not contact you to offer
payment for that image created by you. Thus, choosing limited licenses would
mean a disservice to science, scholarship and teaching and also a disservice to
your self. In the internet age allowing liberal use of your output will quite
likely bring you more opportunities and better helps building a reputation than
limiting it.

Best,
Jeroen Bosman
Utrecht University Library