Sarven Capadisli writes

> Does the "the right way" to contribute to scientific communication in
> context of OA require the use of (non- or for-profit) third-party
> services as opposed to self-publishing?

  Yes, it does

> If so, why?

  because there needs to be persistency to the published output that a
  person can not provide. However that persistency layer could be
  constructed in such a way that it cost way less than what is paid,
  mainly by libraries, to keep the current system going.  I'm
  currently working on building a persistency layer for RePEc. It's
  work funded with a 3000 Euro grant by the French central bank
  foundation for economic research.

--

  Cheers,

  Thomas Krichel                  http://openlib.org/home/krichel