To my mind, this statement expresses what has become a major dilemma for
those who advocate for open access.

Extract:

"The UNESCO recommendation and potential cascading interventions by Member
States could develop along two divergent pathways. They could enhance
governmental support for the scientific community, and the stakeholder
ecosystem of which it is part, as they develop new policies, infrastructures
and collaboration strategies that serve the Open Science paradigm as it has
progressively evolved over the last two decades.

"Alternatively, Member States could disregard the tradition whereby the
scientific community self-organizes to achieve its purposes, and come to
specify, or even regulate, how it should be organized. We are strongly in
favour of the former, and concerned about the potential of the latter, which
could create a mode of Open Science that opens the door: 'to capture of
publicly funded research value by commercial platforms, yet more "metrics"
of productivity to "incentivize" scholars to work harder and a focus on the
system-wide progress of science, ignoring costs and benefits to individuals,
whether scientists or non-scientists'."

More here:
https://council.science/current/news/open-science-and-the-unesco-initiative/