"GOAL may or may not be the right venue for this discussion. Advice on this
would be welcome."

On this question, on the role of GOAL, and on the future of the list I am happy
to hear the views of list members.

I have been thinking about the future of GOAL for a while now. As the name
signals, it was set up to discuss open access. More specifically, the
description of the list says that it is "dedicated to the discussion of Open
Access practice and policy-making by the worldwide research community (in no
order: researchers, universities, research institutions, research funding
agencies, governmental research policy-makers and commercial entities) with the
aim of enabling concrete, practical steps to be taken to achieve Open Access.
Chief among these goals are techniques for increasing the amount of Open
Access, as well as metrics of research usage and impact."

However, discussions about open access have now become mainstream and the
reality is that much of the debate tends to take place elsewhere today, not
least on Twitter.

I am happy to continue moderating the list, I am happy for the list to continue
as it is. I am also happy to discuss GOAL's focus, its role and its future. But
I think this would need to be a discussion that members of the list were
involved in.

All thoughts/suggestions are welcomed.

Best wishes,

Richard Poynder