Joe bab,
I just heard this year there were not much khells as most of them were
booked by the politicians. and going thru your videos, I dont think they are
anywhere near the old
khells which were 100 times better...I doubt the new generation will ever
get to see the type of khells
we have seen....Here below is short account i wrote for Goanet in
2006...with slight changes...

Khell, Khell-tiatr ani Carnival

The good old days, here is a short account of the zomni khell during
the Carnival in my village, Chinchinim.

Zomniche khell were mostly popular during Carnival (Intruz) and
Paskanchem fest (Easter). After the New year and three kings feast, people
eagerly waited for Carnival because of the khells, especially in the
villages of Salcete.

In Chinchinim, there are 15-20 wards or Vaddos. Each Vaddo has a place
called 'Mandd',which was usually located close to a Chapel which was
surrounded by trees.

Khell was mostly performed at the "mandd" or near Regidor's residenceand
sometimes in pvt homes if they could afford.(mostly tarvotti )The ward
committee members collected a small amount (Rs 5 at my time) from each house
to pay for the performers of the khell.

A Khell was formed by a group of artists. The head or the writer/director
was called ‘Mestri’ and other participants were khellgaddi.

The band consisted of player of instruments like drum, trumpet, clarinet and
at times a banjo.

With the exception of band members, all other members of the troupe wore
a colourful uniform. There were no ladies taking part in the khell, but
some gents enacted ladies’ role; they wore a sari or a dress. Anita Pereira
from Chinchinim was the first girl to act in a khell called "Mundkar Nores'.

The famous khell groups came mostly from the coastal villages of
Carmona,Varca, Orlim, Marjorda Benaulim, Colva, Betalbatim, besides some
groups from Chinchinim, Verna and St. Jose de Areal. In those days, they
mostly
travelled on foot from one village to another and/or from one ward to
another. In the late 70's and 80's, they started travelling by mini buses or
open tempos. Wherever they traveled, they always played music .. the drum,
snare drum, trumpet and clarinet. When a khell reached a 'mandd', the ward
members negotiated the price of an act/play..depending on the popularity of
the group. If a group was famous one,then they would agree for two
acts/plays. At times when the mestri or ward members could not reach an
agreement, the troupe would leave the'mandd' but not without singing one or
two songs at the 'mandd'; this was togive respect for the 'mandd'. If they
reached an agreement, they would give time for the mestri to start the play
till most ward people arrived.

As kids, the moment we heard the beat of the drum, we used to run,
leaving whatever work we did, and so did our elders. At the mandd a round
circle was formed and the children had to sit on the ground; the elders
stood around
them. Some would get chairs if their houses were close by; others would make
it on treetops..madd or ambe.

One got to see many khell in my ward ‘Dandeavaddo’ in Chinchinim as it
islocated on the main junction of Cuncolim-Sarzora road and close to
Chinchinim bazaar.

The khell would start with an Imno - opening chorus, wherein the
khellgaddi would stand in two rows in front of the band and introduce
themselves, and the act that was to follow. After the Imno, they would stand
in a circle and then start the play with dialogues, followed by a song which
was sung in two pitches. – primeiro and segundo. The songs were mostly
related to the story or dialogue. At the end of the song, if the act
required them to visit another house, they would say: “Atam hanv kit
kortolom?” ..
“Matxe bazrant voitolom or Jaki ghor voitolom” and then as he starts to
walk, the band would play. If there was a policeman, the popular police
march would follow..for a
batkar a decent tune and if a comedian..a comic tune.

The plays were mostly based on short stories..on family.. bhatkars..kunbis,
Akbar and Birbal etc. Children were fascinated with the 'Rakhos' or
Rakesh...(Giant ) part wherein the actor would wear a black dress covering
his whole body fromhead to toe with a tail hanging from behind...his opening
dialouge would be...ha ha ha anv rakhos...maka pel munxeacho vas yeta..:)

At times there would be 2-3 groups waiting to perform at the same "mandd".
Whenever we heard that another khell arrived there used to be some
commotion...and
then the ward commitee members would stop the play for a few moments n
announce
"Bosai Bosai..ho khell somptoch dusro nachtolo"' (sit sit after this play
gets over the next one will start)

To know where the khells are performing one had to keep an ear on the drum
beats or ask the passerby on cycles...arey khell fuim nachota..(where are
the khells performing)...
n they  would reply...dandevaddo mandar nachta or Olinda tinga nachta (khell
is going on at dandeavaddo or at
Olind auntys place) or simply follow the khellgadi where ever they perform.

This way, all the 3 days of Intruz would go on. But their performance
was best on the first and the second day, as by the third day they would
be exhausted and their voices would become rough.

There was khell competition during the Carnival, which was performed
onstage. The competition was mostly with rival groups; whoever won,
was awarded a big trophy(cup). The handbills and the boards would show both
the parties
pulling on the cup from both sides. In course of time, these competitions
were with
theTiatros. The first to perform was a tiatro, a short one, and then
a khell...ultimately it gave rise to what is now called ‘Khell Tiatr’.

Mestri Kuddo Minguel from Chinchinim was famous for the ‘opari’; also Sucor
Piedadefrom Verna. There was another mestri from Carmona..Anton Marie whose
khells
with emotional dialogues and opari mesmerized the hearts of the people....
Francis Mestri from Durga was famous for his songs while Buk Buko from
Chinchinim and Xempea Minguel from Benaulim made the people laugh.

Mestri Niclau Marian from Nesai and Santiago Pereira from Padde khells
werealso good. The only Hindu to act in khells in those days was Gunno
fromChandor. Marian from Vhodlem Bhatt Benaulim and Don Toklo from Colva
were also very famous mestris, besides the well known Xalibai, F.Coloi
and Bhataghotto.

Antonio Moraes .. well known as A. Moraes was the first to make changes
and take the zomni khell on the stage...and there after the best of the
Khells were seen on stage; the famous groups refused to perform on the
ground; they performed only on stage...Vitorin Pereira, Patrick Dourado and
Ligorio Fernandes were famous on stage. Slowly, these khells were aired on
Akashwani as 'Lokham khell'.

It was in the early 70's, the late Rosario Rodrigues came up with a
non-stopshow...'Ekech Ratri ani Ami Fator'. This show was well received by
the people for its powerfull dialouges, comedy, acting and it completed more
than 150 shows in Goa and Mumbai. From then on, every show of Rosario was a
hit!  I can say that Rosarios
non-stop shows brought an end the Bomboikar Tiatrists.

A lot of changes have been made from the original zomni khell to the present
Tiatro, but the smaller groups still perform the zomni khell, ofcourse with
the
changes as ones I have seen in the videos with new changes. The present day
Tiatr is a
combination of the old zomni khell and tiatr, in that the Khell had songs
which were related to the
story, whereas in a tiatr, the songs sung were not related to the story.

Some of the current well known khell-tiatrs who have changed to tiatrs are
are Prince Jacob, Mario Menezes,Roseferns, Menino Mario..Jose Rod, etc.

Dev Borem Korum
Edward Verdes
Chinchinim/KSA