# Don't just read the news...discuss it. Learn more about Goa via Goanet #
# Goanet was setup in 1994 and has spent the last decade building a      #
# lasting Goan non-profit, volunteer-driven network in cyberspace.       #
# Visit the archives http://www.goanet.org/pipermail/goanet/             #
# To join, write to [EMAIL PROTECTED] and ask to join Goanet.           #

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

G o a n e t - N e w s   B y t e s  MARCH 14, 2005  DATELINE: GOA

  ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____
 ||g |||o |||a |||n |||e |||t ||   Issue compiled by
 ||__|||__|||__|||__|||__|||__||   Frederick Noronha
 |/__\|/__\|/__\|/__\|/__\|/__\|   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

http://www.goanet.org/pipermail/goanet-news         Goanet-News Archives
http://www.goanet.org/pipermail/goanet              Goanet Archives

(c) Goanet 2005 Creative Commons -- http://www.creativecommons.org Feel free
to reproduce this compilation in its entirety, with all credits retained.

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

BREAKING NEWS: Mild tremors felt in Goa on Monday afternoon, following an
earthquake in Koyna. The earthquake was felt in Mumbai (Bombay) too, from
where anxious relatives phoned to check what was happening...

        QUO VADIS ANJUNA BEACH? 200-metre stretch of beach is a graveyard.
        An almost 200-metre stretch of the beach has been literally
        turned into a graveyard, with the sand nowhere to be seen
        and the exposed ghastly rocky strata straring at you in the
        face. The sight is frightening, especially for those
        Anjunkars who have grown up in the embrace of the Prais de
        Sant Antonio (St Anthony's beach). Foreign tourists who have
        been staying in the area, and who would frolic on the sands
        while getting sun-tanned, are dumb-struck. (Alister Miranda in
        the Gomantak Times)

o Moderate turnout at zilla panchayat elections. Over 50% in North
  Goa and 49% in South Goa. Enthusiasm goes amiss. (H) ZP polls fail
  to enthuse voters. (NT)
o Eight voters in Naibhag, Dhargal (Pernem) were sent back as their
  names did not figure in the electoral rolls. Saba Nakul Kerkar (69)
  had been struck off the rolls, and the reason given was that he
  had already expired. (H)

o Paraglider crash kills one in Anjuna. Gerhard Stummer, 47, was
  operating his para-glider in South Anjuna when he suddenly lost
  control and slammed into the Dando hillock on Friday evening. (GT)

        NO ROSY PICTURE THIS; GOA'S IN A FINANCIAL MESS: Goa is
        slowly getting into a debt trap due to the huge amount
        of borrowings. And the situation is worsening with the
        government have to resort to paying debts through loans. (GT)

SPORTS

NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE: Sporting Clube outclasses Vasco 3-0 at Margao.
Tolly struggle to beat State Bank of Travancore 1-0 at Kolkata. (H/UNI)

ALL GOA TENNISBALL CRICKET: Jeet Cricketeers moved into the finals,
beating Vasco Boys by six runs in a thrilling semis at Carmbhat, Tonca.(H)

VAILANKANNI SOCCER: Merces Villagers huffed and puffed their way past
Betalbatim 4-3 via tie-breakers to enter the semi-finals at Merces. (H)

OBITUARY COLUMNS: KEEPING TRACK OF THOSE WHO LEFT US

ASSONORA: Celestina F D'Souza, b 1926. Relict of late Peter G D'Souza,
mother/in-law of Dorothy/Milagres, Jacqueline/Malcolm, Francisca/Ivor,
grandmum of Marushka, Bryan, Andrea and Arash. Funeral Mar 14, 10 am
at St Clara's Church.

CARMONA: Lucio 'Luxea' Gomes. b1925 Husband of Vincentina, father/in-law
of Manuel/Rosy, Felix/Cecilia, Johnny/Minguelina, Rosario/Cony,
Natty, John brother of Dianora. Funeral on March 14, 10 am to OL of
Soccour Church Carmona.

MAPUSA: Adv S L Patkar of Mapusa. Death condoled by advocates
from Mapusa.

PANCHWADY-AMBLAI: Sebastiao Rodrigues, b 1930. Husband of Joaquina,
father of Jeferino/Sucorrina, Esmeralda Domnic (Canacona Sector leader)/
Seema, Xavier/Flory Charlton, father-in-law of Anthony (Sarpanch).
Granddad of Henry, Tina, Jashwiny, Sergio, Jennifer, Sherry, Ashber,
Praise, Shalon, Emmanuel and family. Funeral March 14, 4 pm to St
Anthony's Church, Panchwaddy.

        CUNCOLIM-Dandora: Emejia F Fernandes, 10th anniv
        March 15 at 7.30 am at OL of Health Cuncolim
        FATORDA/ex-DAR ES SALAAM: Dominga Santana Fernandes
        8th anniv. March 14. Sadly missed by daughter
        Lucy Caldeira and family.
        SALIGAO-Grande Morod: Anthony D'Souza, month's mind.
        March 15 at 8.30 am at Saligao Mae de Deus.
        VELIM-Gorcomorod: Amaldino Franklin Mazarello 1st Anniv
        March 15 at 8 am at St Rock's Tollecanto
        VIOLET MAUD McCANN: 21st anniversary. A tribute of
        love from her loving family.

LOOKING OUT FOR

        LOOKING OUT FOR: Meena D'Souza's daughter Fatima is
        in Goa and looking out for her. Contact 2772054/72

TODAY'S SPECIAL RECIPE Tuna fish cutlets (Goan style)

INGREDIENTS: 1 can tuna fish mashed; 1 medium potato, boil and mash; 3
medium onions, minced finely; 4 cloves garlic, grind to paste; 1 inch
ginger, grind to paste; 2 minced green chillies; half teaspoon cumin powder;
half teaspoon pepper; quarter teaspoon tumeric powder; one egg; bread
crumbs; oil for frying.

METHOD: Fry onions until brown. Add ginger, garlic and green chillies and
fry for five minutes. Then add tumeric, pepper and cumin powder. Add and mix
mashed tuna fish and fry for another five minutes. Remove from fire and
cool. Beat one egg with a pinch of salt and add to mixture. Mix in the
mashed potato and form cutlets. Coat with breadcrumbs. Heat a frying pan
with a little oil. Fry the cutlets till light brown.

        Courtesy: Savour the Flavour of India, 2005 recipes by Edna
        Fernandes. Mississauga. Ontario-based Edna is author of 'Saviour the
        Flavour of India', pp 132, January 2005, Rs 250 printed at Pilar,
        from where the above excerpt is reproduced with permission. Details
        from [EMAIL PROTECTED] or mobile 9822 588 823 (Goa) till 31/3.

Writes Anirudh Gadgil: I have been away from Goa for past 10 years and I
have sorely missed Goan Cuisine. I have tried all of the recipes sent in so
far and they are all great. I never cooked before but the love for Goan food
has persuaded me to try my hand at cooking. I would like to request readers
to send in their personal recipes ( I found that the proportions mentioned
are most important to get authentic taste).

    _/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
    _/
    _/  SALT OF THE EARTH: An inspiring story from Goa
    _/  ---------------------------------------------------
    _/  HEALING PRIEST TURNS 90: Brother Peter Ratos
    _/  Courtesy: Gomantak Times, Panjim
    _/
    _/  GT NEWS SERVICE
    _/  PANAJI: Brother Peter Ratos completed 90 years on
    _/  March 14, 1998. Priests, brothers, aspirants, and
    _/  umpteen friends and well-wishers celebrated the
    _/  day joyfully at the Capuchin Minor Seminary at
    _/  Navelim.
    _/
    _/  At least eight of the nine decades in the nonagenarian
    _/  Banaulikar's life have been extremely eventful. At the
    _/  age of around ten, when he lost his father, little
    _/  Peter began to dispense herbal medicines to
    _/  hundreds of people heading for his house for all sorts
    _/  of ailments.
    _/
    _/  Though Br Peter has been highly effective in curing
    _/  kidney stones and gall bladder stones, he has also
    _/  treated many infertility cases and given relief to
    _/  patients of asthma, bronchitis, skin diseases,
    _/  diabetes and paralysis.
    _/
    _/  Out of the 1300 snake-bite cases treated by him,
    _/  just one person died. Patients arrive at the Fr Pio
    _/  Service Centre on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays,
    _/  from as far as Switzerland, Japan and Portugal and
    _/  take sufficient stock of medicines on their return.
    _/  Br Peter is careful not to disclose the names of
    _/  celebrities -- governors, bishops, etc -- who seek his
    _/  advice and medicines.
    _/
    _/  Br Peter is not only in herbal medicien but practices
    _/  Ayurveda, Unani, Homeopathy, magnets and even allopathy.
    _/  He has studied Homeopathy as well as Ayurveda
    _/  thoroughly. "I have trained three persons so far, and
    _/  one of them, a priest Fr Charles Saldanhas, has opened
    _/  a hospital in Bangalore."
    _/
    _/  "I am a heart patient. I had three operations, had three
    _/  severe heart attacks. Doctors are surprised how I still
    _/  survive. But I never treat myself and had to submit to
    _/  allopathic treatment," he adds in an almost inaudible
    _/  voice. When he was fit, he had travelled far and wide
    _/  in India in search of medical knowledge and rare herbs.
    _/  He used to grow all the rare herbs, which went into his
    _/  curative powders and pills.
    _/
    _/  But he is too old for strenuous work now and can't walk
    _/  freely because of varicose veins. So he has 14 workers
    _/  helping to collect the herbs, dry them and prepare
    _/  powders and pills. (Gomantak Times)
    _/

We need your help to promote Goanet, a volunteer-driven network:

Discuss the news. Send your views to goanet@goanet.org

  ... .   ...    ....   .. ...     ....  .||.    Founded in 1994
.|....'

If you don't like Goanet, tell us. If you like Goanet, spread the word!