# Don't just read the news...discuss it. Learn more about Goa via Goanet #
# Goanet was setup in 1994 and has spent the last decade building a      #
# lasting Goan non-profit, volunteer-driven network in cyberspace.       #
# Visit the archives http://www.goanet.org/pipermail/goanet/             #
# To join, write to [EMAIL PROTECTED] and ask to join Goanet.           #

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

G o a n e t - N e w s   B y t e s      APRIL 23, 2005   DATELINE: GOA

  ... .   ...    ....   .. ...     ....  .||.    Founded in 1994
  |''   ||   || .|' ||   ||  ||  ||       ||     Carneiro
 '||||.  '|..|' '|..'|' .||. ||.  '|...'  '|.'   http://www.goanet.org
.|....'
         To unsubscribe from this list, contact [EMAIL PROTECTED]
         If you find this ezine useful, please recommend it to your
friends and others from Goa. To sign-up http://newsfromgoa.swiki.net

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

IN TODAY'S EZINE: Could Goa's squall (earlier described as cyclonic winds)
have been predicted and thus inconvenienced citizens less? Margao's bridges.
Plans for ex-CM Ravi Naik to become GPCC(I) chief?

        SQUALL WAS PREDICTED THREE DAYS IN ADVANCE: Herald's
        Neena Dayal reports from Vasco that while the rest of
        Goa was unprepared for the severe weather, residents
        of the Naval Base at Vasco were mentally prepared
        for the squally. According to members of the Naval Base
        at Vasco, the Indian Naval Meteorological Department at
        Vasco had issued warnings to the air station for squally
        weather, and the information had filtered down to the
        residents for such strong weather. While the Indian Naval
        Base did not issue an official warning, warning signs
        were there fore everyone to see that a severe squall
        was on the way. But what was shocking to the residents of
        the naval base was to see the met officials in Panjim
        on why the destructive squally winds of April 20 could
        not be predicted. (Herald)

o MORE ON BRIDGES AROUND MARGAO: The Rawanfond bridge stands finally
  commissioned, but with just a month-and-half to go for the monsoons
  to set in, the Goa State Infrastructure Development Corporation
  has a task cut out to complete work on the Khareband and Mungul
  bridges across the River Sal -- linking the commercial capital
  of Goa (Margao) to Salcete's coastal belt. (H)

o RAVI NAIK is expected to become Goa Pradesh Congress Committee's
  next president. (H)

o Governor S C Jamir visits devastated port town fishing jetty. (GT)

o Six persons hurt in Bicholim riot, between Sunni and Tabalic groups
  during two separate processions on Id-e-Milad, the birth anniversary
  of Prophet Mohammed. (NT)

        ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION seals Reis Magos hotel,
        after its owners, including a former minister (Parulekar)
        defaulted on the payment of loans. (GT)

        TUITIONS HAVE BECOME like tonics and vitamin supplements,
        an essential part of the students' curriculum to either
        make up for the deficiencies in the educational system
        or compliment it. But though many frown upon tuitions
        and coaching, as it ends up eating into the students'
        leisure time, the students themselves and parents cannot
        do without them, write journalist Preetu Nair of the
        Gomantak Times.

        GOA GOVERNMENT MULLS REVERTING TO ENGLISH MEDIUM IN
        SCHOOLS: The Education Department is undertaking, for the
        first time, a house-to-house comprehensive educational
        survey covering all the 2.9 lakh families in Goa, to commence
        from April 25. Education director ND Agarwal said the
        survey would provide inputs for improving the quality of
        education. It would focus on whether people are in favour
        of introducing English as a subject in Standard I. "If a
        majority of parents are in favour of having English as a
        subject from Standard I, then we may introduce English
        as a subject in Marathi and Konkani schools," officials said.GT
        This is the first-ever educational survey to be held in Goa.(NT)

DEATHS & OBITUARIES

SALVADOR DO MUNDO: Anthony Paulo Cardozo. Husband of Piedade Cardozo, father
of Francisco Xavier Cardozo, father-in-law of Laurina. Grandfather of Lina,
Lily, Hilary and Charles.

MARGAO: Ligorio Gladstone 'Glady' Andrade. Husband of Ligia, father/in-law
of Judith (St Joseph's Convent School Nagoa-Verna), Jose (Zito), grandfather
of Savio and Joslyn, brother of late Olga, Joaquim/Olga, Fr Wilfred Piedade,
Alvito/Irmina, Wilson, Gohen and late William/Ethel.

VELIM: Nobert Fernandes, b 1964. Son of late Francis/Rosita, brother of
Nora, Neville, Nellicia, brother-in-law of Savio, Ivor, Venicia, godchild of
Fr Johnsie (Ambaulim), uncle of Donna, Don Cyril, Nestor, Aston, Ivica and
Ivanna. Funeral to St Rock's on Apr 23.

        Khushali Dessai, a freedom fighter died in the early hours of Friday
        morning at his residence in Cuncolim. He was 82 years and was ailing
        for some time. In his younger days, he had been an active member of
        the Azad Gomantak Dal, one of the groups campaigning against
        colonialism in the not-necessarily non-violent camp, and worked
        along with his Cuncolim freedom fighter colleagues like like ex-MLAs
        late Dattaram Dessai from Sanvorcotto and late Shabu Dessai from
        Binusa. Dessai had been honured for his services to the freedom
        struggle both by the state and the central governments. (Armstrong
        Vaz reporting from Cuncolim.)

GOA SPORTS

o Vasco defeats Fransa 3-2 in Fatorda match. National football league.(H)
o SAI Hostel lifts Under 18 Girls Cup. (H)

        THE COUTINHOS, CUNCOLIM, AND CALANGUTE AT CANDOLIM: Armstrong Vaz
        <vazgustovaz at rediffmail.com> reports direct from Cuncolim:

        Cuncolim  Union football team, which has been dominating inter
        village football down south, will be seeking to make a mark on the
        sands of Candolim this weekend. The Salcete-based club makes their
        first appearance in a Bardez tournament take on the north Goa team
        Calangute Association in the finals of the Anantdeep football
        tournament finals of Nerul Sports Club at the Dr Gustav Monteiro
        Stadium at Candolim on Sunday, April 24, at 4.30 p.m.

Three bus-loads of Cuncolim supporters will make their way to Candolim, not
to forget numerous other four wheelers who will make the trip to Candolim
come Sunday. The battle on the ground will centre around the two Coutinho on
either side of the playing field.

Upcoming striker Wesley Coutinho plays for Cuncolim. The twenty year old
striker has earned applause for his performance throughout the season for the
Cuncolim team, and the Candolim tournament has not been different. Calangute
on the other hand will have the veteran of Indian football Bruno Coutinho
who will obviously try to spin up his own magic. Thus, this battle of the
two Coutinhos could have a telling effect of the finals.

GOA WINS SUB-JUNIOR NATIONAL BASKETBALL CHAMPIONSHIP: Goa defeated Delhi to
win the title in both the boys and girls sections of the 15th sub-junior
national baseball championship at the Barabati stadium here. While the Goa
boys beat Delhi 10-3, the girls defeated the same opponents two-zero in the
finals. SOURCE: The Hindu - http://www.hindu.com

GOA TEAMS SCORE EASY WINS IN U-15 CRICKET TOURNEY: After skittling out
Belgaum for a paltry 124 in 33.4 overs, Goa achieved the target for the loss
of just four wickets in 30.2 overs in the first ever all-India limited overs
Under-15 invitation cricket tournament here today. SOURCE:
http://www.deepikaglobal.com

KONKANI SAYINGS

Korta tem mapan, gheta.
As you sow, so do you reap.

Kumar-kumpar ghara kodde, nhoi vhoddea kodde.
Discourage nepotism. [Literally: Godfather and godmother relationships rule
at home, not near the ferry point]

Lakhache bara hozar.
Someone who is careless and ruins or loses everything. [Literally, reducing
a lakh or hundred thousand to just 12,000.]

Loz nasleleak ghal'lo khoddo, to nachtalo mhonn ho mhozo ghoddo.
To someone with no self respect, nothing matters.

WEATHER, ETC IN GOA

Max 33.1 deg C. Min 26.1 deg C. Day humidity 88%, night 71%.

DIASPORA/EVENT:  Tiatr from Toronto ... singers from Surrey

Jr. Menezes, Canada's multi-talented Konkani Tiatr Director and Actor in
his latest venture, 'Deu Nith Kortolo', Produced by: Francis D'Costa, and
presented by the D'Costa Financial Group. On Saturday, June 18, 2005, 2:30
pm at Michael Power School Auditorium, Etobicoke. Tickets: $20.00 (reserved
seating), $15.00 (general seating)

        All-Canadian cast: Joe Vaz, Olympio Fernandes, Winnie Crasto,
        Francis Moraes, Caji Rodrigues, Josie Carrasco, Olavio Da Costa, AC
        Pereira, Willie Gracias, Patrick Pereira, Alexander Goveas, Vilhas
        Prabhu, Tony D'Silva, Grace Almeida, Jr. Menezes, Charmaine Menezes,
        Auggie Pereira, Martha Dias, Ruth Kumar, Stephanie Menezes, Nikita
        Menezes, Hazel Thomas, Benny Pereira, Maria Pereira, Clema, Sera
        Barbosa & more

FROM SURREY... THE DE SOUZA FAMILY MUSICIANS: For the last five years or so,
the de Souza family from Surrey have entertained our Goan community in
tiatr, choir, dances and even a couple of fund-raising events. They play a
mix of vibrant music from Konkani to classical music. They comprise of
British-born Goans -- Adrian 13 clarinet/saxophone, Louise 12 piano, Robert
10 Trumpet/Guitar and Jessica 8 Violin.

'Jazzy Joe' the famous saxophonist, in his words, said "These children have
a great future in music and a great inspiration to the young Goan
community." They also are encouraging Goan youth to show off their musical
talents and are members of Goan Musical Society.

Louise, the founder member of the Junior Goans UK (JGUK) says, "Goan youth
are our future and, if we want to keep our community together, we need to
unite. My brothers and sister have helped me to set up this organisation. We
are also setting up an e-group so that we can chat and share ideas together
-- not only in the UK, but also around the world to anyone and everyone."

You can contact them - or chat at: Junior Goans UK1 --
[EMAIL PROTECTED] or [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Photograph of the group at :
http://community.webshots.com/photo/41541835/323910683BDxhST

NETWORK IN CYBERSPACE: Electronics, Catholic Goans...

The Electronics India-Goa Group (EiGG). For hobbyists to discuss issues
related to electronics. This list was set up by enthusiasts from Goa, with
the support of Roberto, a visitor from Germany. To join, send in a blank
email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

        CATHOLIC GOAN NETWORK, WITH A NEW ADDRESS: Patrick 'Pat' P de Souza
        of Maryland, USA <desousa246 at aol.com> says the new address of the
        join, simply send an email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] Of
        course, the web site continues at
        http://www.catholic-goan-network.net

WANTED VOLUNTEERS, THANKING VOLUNTEERS

WANTED NEWS-POSTS RELATED TO GOA: Wanted volunteers to post news items
directly related to Goa to the Usenet newsgroup soc.culture.indian.goa Send
all your posts to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

GOA SUDHAROP, THANKING PARTNERS: George Pinto <georgejpinto at yahoo.com> of
Goa Sudharop says the not-for-profit organisation would like to welcome and
publicly thank its new volunteers. Says George: "As we celebrate our 5th
anniversary this year and the 'Year of the Goan Child', we wish to thank our
many past volunteers, supporters, and donors and welcome our new volunteers.
They are regular people with full-time jobs, families and the usual busy
life. Yet they have made it a point to volunteer and give back to Goa and
Goans. We salute them." Among the new volunteers are Ibonio and Annie
D'Souza Dr. Rajesh and Shoba Naique, Maya and Shollet Pereira, Daya and
Sandeep Sabnis, Stephanie Pereira, Rochelle Andrade, Joan Falleiro, Lester
D'Souza, Savio D' Cruz, Clynton Dunbar, Nonika Mascarenhas. Goa Sudharop's
board of directors -- http://www.goasudharop.org -- called on Goans
worldwide to join in their fifth anniversary celebrations on the July 4
weekend in the San Francisco Bay Area. More details to follow.

FROM HERE AND THERE

VAT, ON ALCOHOL PRODUCTS: In Goa, those in the liquor business have been
kept busy implementing the Value Added Tax on alcoholic drinks. Some were
informed just two days before March 31, that VAT included liquor too,
something that was earlier thought to be exempted from VAT. Now besides
paying a hefty 22% VAT, they are complaining about losing out on stock that
they had in hand, which was purchased and now they have to pay a double tax
on. Said one: "Nobody seems to know what to do, and even approaching the
commissioner was of no use as they simply say they cannot do a thing." But
given Goa's unhelpful image as a cheap-liquor state, this hike and
consequent increase in taxes might not be such a bad thing overall.

        WORKSHOP ON COMPUTING IN XAVIERS: St Xavier's College (Mapusa)
        lecturer Nelson Lobo has written in to say that the college summer
        course on computing will be from April 25 to 28, 2005. It will
        include partitioning of the hard disk, Windows2000/XP installation
        and basic administration, GNU/Linux installation and basic
        administration, dual/tri booting and "maybe a little of
        troubleshooting will be covered" too. For further details contact
        Nelson Lobo: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Or St. Xavier's College of Arts,
        Science & Commerce via the email address
        <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

QUERY OVER WHAT GOA FORMERLY CALLED ITS PUBLICA LIVARIA: Julieta Dias Fisher
writes in thanking the Goanet network for the "interesting article on Goa's
library". She says: "As a librarian I wondered if any of the old newspapers
are digitized and if not, are there any plans on preserving them? I am
interested in the social history of Goa from the 1800's to the present and
have been thinking of coming to Goa to do research. Can you let me know the
hours of operation of the library and what I would need to do to be able to
access its resources?" Contact her at borboleta at att.net

        Helen Hotchkiss asks: Hello, any chance we could see the Goan
        proverbs again that were in the newsletter about a week ago?"
        (Sure, we'll do this whenever possible! If anyone has useful
        proverbs to contribute, please send them in.)

        Aruna Dias commented: Thank you very much for the news update of Goa
        felt back home keep it up. if i want to send any of my contribution
        how do i do it? (Goanet appreciates all financial contributions to
        keep it service going and growing. Contact Herman Carneiro
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]  who will give you details on how to easily
        send in your money, online, via Paypal.)

THE GOOD NEWS: ALUMNI NETWORKS

CANADIAN ALUMNI SUPPORT XAVIER'S STUDENTS: Joe Nunes the President of BMX
(Britto's, St Mary's, St Xavier's) Toronto Reunion and of the Bursary that
was created thereafter is quoted by Miguel Braganza <miguel12 at
sancharnet.in> as saying that a fund has been collected for scholarships to
"Britto Boys and St.Mary's Chillies who join St.Xavier's Higher Secondary
and College." Miguel says that for starters, it is expected that one boy and
one girl will get Rs.1,500 per year in each of the four streams of study --
Arts, Science, Commerce and Vocational (Travel & Ticketing, Bakery,
Electrical Repairs) beginning in Std XI at St. Xavier's HSS this year. The
scholarships have been agreed by Mr.Mervyn "Okay!" D' Souza, Principal and
will see the investment of a total of Rs.24,000 for two years.

SITEWATCH: http://www.rebaphoto.com/ * An expat photographer overseas

Joy in looking and comprehending is nature*s most beautiful gift. * Albert
Einstein

My photography reaches for a moment seen through the eyes of one, but
experienced by many.

I am a documentary photographer from Boston, MA specializing in people in
their natural environments. My travels include India, Ecuador, Australia,
Portugal, Spain, France, England, Germany, and most of the 48 continental
states.

I have been a staff photographer for the Daily Item for 2 years now and look
forward to more adventures through the lens.

I am available for hire and my photos can be purchased through this site.

Please contact me via email at [EMAIL PROTECTED] or at 617.501.7327 Click
here to view my resume. Thank You for visiting REBAPHOTO * Copyright 2004,
Reba Saldanha

We need your help to promote Goanet, a volunteer-driven network: