# Don't just read the news...discuss it. Learn more about Goa via Goanet #
# Goanet was setup in 1994 and has spent the last decade building a      #
# lasting Goan non-profit, volunteer-driven network in cyberspace.       #
# Visit the archives http://www.goanet.org/pipermail/goanet/             #
# To join, write to [EMAIL PROTECTED] and ask to join Goanet.         #
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

G o a n e t - N e w s   B y t e s      MAY 18, 2005   DATELINE: GOA

       /                                         d8   Founded in 1994
 e88~88e  e88~-_    /~~~8e  888-~88e  e88~~8e  _d88__ by Herman
 888 888 d888   i       88b 888  888 d888  88b  888   Carneiro
 "88_88" 8888   |  e88~-888 888  888 8888__888  888   ---------------
  /      Y888   ' C888  888 888  888 Y888    ,  888 http://www.goanet.org
 Cb       "88_-~   "88_-888 888  888  "88___/   "88_/
  Y8""8D  ---------------------------------------------------------
          We are on your side * Goanet... where the reader matters!

http://www.goanet.org * http://www.goanet.org *  http://www.goanet.org

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

IN TODAY'S EZINE: Who can win the national football league? More on
politics, a field packed with intrigue. Exclusive updates from the Goa in
cyberspace, and its diaspora. Even a special letter to Goanet and its
members from a former Governor of Goa. Read on...

        BITTER BATTLE OVER FOOTBALL: Marcus Mergulhao reports in
        the Herald that Mohan Bagan offered Rs 20,000 to anyone
        of their players who could score the all-important goal
        against Churchill Brothers on Wednesday. The writer alleges
        that the "buzz among journalists" in Kolkata is that
        anyone from the rival team who can score a self-goal
        or pick a red card will be ten times the amount. (Herald)

        TOURISM IN GOA may fall short of achieving its true
        potential, primarily because of the unstable and, at times,
        regressive political environment. It would not be too far
        wrong to say that the entire tourism industry is at the
        mercy of our politicians. And our politicians are only
        interested in short-term gain. With the frequent
        change in governments, the tourism policy (such as it is)
        also changes abruptly. (Joseph Zuzarte in Herald)

o Sri Lankan vessel seized, five fishermen arrested off Goa coast
  for illegally fishing. (H)
o Education, marriage fail to insulate Goan women from alcohol. (H)
o Turtled naptha tanker disrupts traffic in Canacona. (H)
o Bar Council of Pakistan team is visiting Goa. (H)
  Visiting Pakistan Bar Council members find Goa friendly. (NT)
o S B Faria appointed special senior counsel for Central Bureau
  of Investigations in Goa. (H)
o Finally, the Town Planner registers a case against "unknown
  persons" for illegal hill cutting at the Altinho slopes, Panjim. (H)
o Cuncolim market facing space crunch. (H)
o Ponda garbage dumping plans bite the dust. The council started
  dumping garbage at Keriya-Khandepar, but locals were up in arms
  and opposed it. (H)
o Plan to improve security Aguada on anvil, following jail-break. (NT)
o Upgrade your old PC for Rs 5900 *onwards*. MyPC from LG for
  Rs 15900. Laptops available from Rs 33,500 onwards. (Advert in H)

Politics, and all that
----------------------

o BJP manifesto focuses on welfare of Scheduled Tribes, improvement in
  water supply, proper implementation of the Ambedkar Awas Yogana housing
  scheme for the homeless, construction of children's parks. (H)
o Congress assures a transparent employment policy in manifesto. (H)
o In Poinguinim, an Independent candidate Leao Monteiro is well poised
  to take on Congress's Isidore Fernandes and BJP's Ramesh Tawadkar. (H)
o No role in Benaulim poll, says Churchill Alemao. (H)
o Quizzed by election observers, Benaulim Congress candidate
  Mickky Pacheco said his motorcade was not an 'election rally',
  but just a team of people following him on their own vehicles. (H)

DEATHS & OBITUARIES

        CLOISTERED CARMEL: Sr Filomena OCD, Cloistered Carmel, Chicalim,
        Goa. Funeral service was scheduled for April 17 at 4 30 pm. A
        tribute from her sisters at Chicalim. Source ocdchicalim at vsnl.net

        FROM TANZANIA: Doris & Oscar Demello in Tanzania inform of the death
        of Joseph Demello, who passed away peacefully a couple of mornings
        ago. Husband to Matilda Demello, Father to Norma, Thelma, Leslie and
        Oscar. Source: Tanzanite, the Goan mailing list from Tanzania.

CANSAULIM; Ana Joana D'Souza (Chamdekan) of Praial. b 1924. Wife of late
Francisco D'Souza, mother/inlaw of late Camilo/Quiteria, Menino/Maria, Rosa
(Caranzalem), Bena/Jose Francisco, Ana Maria, late Miguel Po (Caranzalem),
Mila/Constancio (Paris), Antonio/Josefina (Paris), Catarina/Paulo
(Molkornem).

PARRA: Rosalina Santana Borges de Souza, b 1911. Relict of Carlos Rafael de
Souza. Mother/in-law of Tereza/late Paixao Rodrigues, Morgan/Lia,
Romero/Jacinta, and Dinha/Winfred D'Costa.

PORVORIM: Maria Umelina Nina da Graca Pinto e Lopes (Nina). Relict of
Aplinario Lopes, mother/in-law of Frederick/Odette, Irene/Victor,
Wilson/Andiara and Johnny/late Elvira.

GOA SPORTS

SALGAOCAR EYE 6th SPOT: Saligao Sports Club's campaign in the 9th
National Football League for the ONGC Cup has been forgettable, to
say the least. But coach Shabbir Ali believes his side can still
finish on a high note. (H)

LAST-ROUND TIES ON MAY 21: All India Football Federation has deferred
the last-round National Football League matches by a day. Initially
slated for May 20, the crucial last round matches -- Dempo vs Tollygunge,
Sporting Clube de Goa vs Mahindra United, and East Bengal versus Vasco --
will now be played on May 21. (H)

TROPA SPORTS scored a resounding 6-1 win over Quitula SC in the Air India
GFA under-16 football tournament at Duler. (H)

SIOLIM TOYED with their opponents Nerul SC, scoring a big 7-1 win, in the
Calangute panchayat cup. (H)

SAO MIGUEL DE TALEIGAO huffed and puffed their way into the semis, beating
Navelim Villagers 6-4 via the tie-breaker in the Mardol Trophy. (H)

CUNCOLIM UNION registered a 2-0 win over Raia SC in the Palyekar Memorial
Soccer at Siolim. (H)

FROM HERE AND THERE:

DISABILITY AND LAW WORKSHOP IN GOA: (DNIS News Network) A workshop on
Disability and Law was conducted by N.C.P.E.D.P. in association with
Caritas-Goa, North Goa District Advocates Association and Disability Rights
Association (D.R.A.G.), in Panjim, Goa, on 30 April.

Goa is not only a home for thousands of disabled people but also one of the
most popular tourist destinations in India. The workshop was conducted with
the aim of stirring the disability movement in Goa, and to raise awareness
within the sector and the legal community about the legislative provisions
present in Indian law to safeguard the rights of disabled persons. It was
supported by the British High Commission.

The workshop was inaugurated by Nikhil Kumar, Collector, North Goa, who is
also the Additional Commissioner for Persons with Disabilities in North Goa.
The workshop saw enthusiastic participation by people from all walks of life
including lawyers, persons with disabilities, doctors, teachers,
bureaucrats, etc.

Speaking about the State-level implementation of disability legislation, Mr
Fernandes, Assistant Director of Social Welfare, in-charge of schemes and
programmes, listed out the various schemes available for disabled persons
provided by the Directorate of Social Welfare.

However, he could not give a convincing answer as to why the office of the
Social Welfare Department is not accessible -- it is currently on the first
floor, has spiral staircase and broken railings. The other eminent speakers
were Adv. Ehrlich A. de Souza, Vice President, North Goa District Advocates
Association, Avelino DeSa (President, D.R.A.G.) and Adv. Caroline Social
Activist and member of State Consumer Commission.

In the 'Open House' session, apart from the urgent need expressed by the
participants quite vociferously to shift the office of the Social Welfare
Department, other important recommendations that came were that of including
disability aspects in building by-laws; appointing a full time Commissioner
for persons with disability; creating awareness on the various issues;
making the issuance of Disability Certificate easier by having the facility
in many more hospitals; ensuring that the upcoming bye-elections are made
disabled friendly, etc. On the occasion, a website on disability,
www.disabilitygoa.com was also inaugurated by Nikhil Kumar. The website, an
effort of D.R.A.G., provides comprehensive information on disability
vis-a-vis Goa.

Source: DISABILITY RIGHTS ASSOCIATION OF GOA C/o Star Investments Opp. Head
Post Office Panjim, Goa - 403 001.  Telefax: 0832 - 2427160 Email:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.disabilitygoa.com * "Making way for the
differently abled in Goa".

GOANET POLL: Last week's Poll question was "How often do you visit Goa?"
Of the 186 responses here is the breakdown:
6% - Visit? I live in Goa
35% - Once a year
43% - Once every two years
12% - Once every five years
2% - Once every ten years
2% - I don't intend to visit Goa
CAST YOUR VOTE AT
http://www.goanet.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=NS-Polls&file=index&pollID=8

        YOGA CLASSES: Regular Yoga classes have been launched at the
        Azad Bhavan, opposite The Majestic, in Porvorim, between
        6.45 to 7.45 am. Contact Shailendra Gupta, 249 7420.

STAMPSINGOA: This network is alive and kicking, ever since its founder
Clinton Vaz, 22, of Benaulim announced he was en route to Egypt for a
holiday, and would send anyone who introduced themselves a "bunch" of
Egyptian stamps. Want to know of useful numismatic websites? What are the
tools needed for stamp collecting? How do you collect and preserve stamps
properly? Join in and share your resources at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/stampsingoa

        EDUCATIONAL CONTENT: Anit Saxena <anit.saxena at gmail.com>, a
        son-in-law of Goa whom some might know as being earlier connected
        with the Goa Schools Computers Project, is back here from Bangalore,
        and wrote: "Greetings. I am in Goa till Wednesday and would like to
        pass on some interesting educational content that one of my team
        members at AIF-DE had compiled for use by the Goa schools. Could you
        let me know how I can pass it to you? I am putting up in Saligao. If
        possible, please call me on my mobile 0-9886138854 so that we could
        fix up for a quick meet." Anit is with a foundation in Bangalore
        that works on education.

CHOICE OF CANDIDATES, A PRECURSOR OF THINGS TO COME? Thalmann Pereira
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes: The Communist Party of India (Marxist), Goa
State Committee, has called upon the electorate in the 5 Assembly
Constituencies going to the polls on June 2, 2005, to exercise their
franchise to resoundingly defeat the communal forces. The CPI(M) has however
cautioned that the bye-elections to the five seats, will not give any
political stability, since the local Congress and BJP leaders are still bent
upon manipulative politics within the House, to the complete detriment of
people's welfare. The choice of candidates by these parties portends a
further round of political horse-trading in the near future. The CPI(M) has
called upon the people of Goa to actively support the Left parties'
programme of struggles for alternate pro-people policies as the lever to
force the Congress-NCP alliance to come out with a Common Minimum Programme
for Goa on the basis of secularism and democracy. The politics of defections
and manipulations cannot be prevented unless the passive nature of Goa's
political landscape is changed. The CPI(M) specially calls upon all
left-oriented intellectuals and activists in Goa to discharge their historic
responsibility of giving leadership to the people of Goa in their struggle
for a better future.

SALSA, FROM GOA: Writes Goa-based Salsa dancer Tony Ainsley: Please check
out my website http://www.redhotsalsa.com to read the 'Latest News' about
what I've been doing lately. Debi writes a regular newsletter for the web,
Love and Light, Tony X.

        GOANET'S REACH: Alan Andrews, who wrote a recent article on IT in
        Goa, comments: "Did not realize the reach of Goanet and that the
        column would strike a chord to many people." Request from Goanet
        Admin -- Please share Goanet News Bytes, Goanet, Goanet-Digest and
        the Goanet-News list postings with anyone you think might be
        interested. Remember: subscribing is free.

GOANET NEEDS *YOUR* PHOTO: Do you have a good Goa-related (or Goan-related)
photo that needs to be showcased to the outside world? Send it across for
the Goanet website -- http://www.goanet.org You can post it to
[EMAIL PROTECTED] Thanks!

WHY NOT A FINAL MAGNUM OPUS FROM PETER NAZARETH: Dr Eddie D'Sa of London
pens an appeal to the fascinating writer Peter Nazareth, in Iowa (author of
the eminently readable 'The General Is Up', a story based amidst the
expulsion of Asians from an imaginary African country): "You've had
professional contacts with a host of non-western scholars/writers
-- Ugandan, Kenyan (Thiongo), Indian (Couto), Somalian (Farah), diaspora
Brit (Jameela), Korean, Singaporean, Chinese and written about Salkey, Reed,
Ebejer (Black American, Caribbean, Maltese). But what is striking is the
absence of significant interaction with established American, British or
Asian Diaspora writers (the latter being the lot found in publications like
Wasafiri). This suggests that you have chosen to work largely outside the
western literary establishment and not to publish in their journals or
submit reviews in the literary supplements of Anglo-American newspapers. I
think that's a pity. Wouldn't it have enriched your output by engaging with
the mainstream? Finally I am sure many of us must feel disappointed that you
stopped writing novels after the two you wrote decades ago. (I have raised
this point before.) But with such a flood of new works by diaspora writers
sprouting month by month, the thought keeps coming -- why not a final magnum
opus from Peter?"  Source: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NewDiaspora/

[EMAIL PROTECTED] TELLS US ABOUT AiiRadio. It says, "Thank you for allowing
AiiRadio the pleasure of playing the music available at the Audio section of
jazzgoa.com Three of the tracks 'Route 66', 'Compared to what' and 'Mumbai
Jumbo' were found to be exceptionally brilliant and have been selected for
airplay."This was premiered on May 17 between noon-2pm EST/ 5-7pm gmt. A
link will also be added to our featured artists page with in the next few
days.

        QUOTE: What we do: We have international radio hosts, international
        listeners, and international artists. We have LIVE hosts 8am-10pm
        EST that play the music and are available in our LIVE CHAT to point
        listeners to our artist page where they can check out their favorite
        band sites. We keep our broadcast at a "preview" quality as it is
        intended as an introduction to all the great independent music
        available world-wide and we encourage fans to support their favorite
        artists by purchasing their CDs and attending gigs. We also host
        music videos on our site. ENDQUOTE

>From Helen Station Manager Aiiradio www.aiiradio.net Postal Address: Helen
Finch 157 Bebington Road Birkenhead Merseyside UK CH42 4PZ

More posts related to the musicians and music of Goa at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/goamusician/

SCREENING OF A FILM IN GOA: On Thursday May 19, at 6.30 pm.  Film: "SALAAM
BOMBAY" (1988). India: English subtitles, 114 Minutes Director: Mira Nair

        This is a superb film that gives the viewer a bird's eye view into
        the plight of India's urban street children. It is done through the
        experience of young Krishna, an illiterate, country bumpkin of a
        boy, who is abandoned by his mother at a circus and told not to come
        home until he has five hundred rupees for having broken something
        that belonged to his brother. While Krishna is on an errand, the
        circus packs up and leaves town, and he is left alone to fend for
        himself.  Krishna uses his last few rupees to travel to a city,
        which by luck of the draw turns out to be Bombay. Thrust into the
        life of the street children of Bombay, living among the pimps,
        hustlers, drug addicts, prostitutes, and throw away children that
        proliferate in India's urban settlements, a modern day jungle,
        Krishna struggles to survive. His resourcefulness holds him in good
        stead. He quickly develops some street smarts and forms attachments.
        He struggles to earn and save money, so that he can return home to
        his mother and the family whom he misses, only to be duped in the
        end by one whom he had trusted. His story breaks one's heart, as he
        learns some hard lessons in life.  This is a gritty look into the
        underbelly and plight of Bombay's poor street children, who call the
        gutters of its filthy urban streets home. It is filled with the
        sights and sounds of this urban nightmare. An Academy Award nominee
        for Best Foreign Language Film, this highly acclaimed film allows
        the viewer a peek at another culture, only to find that basic human
        needs and desires are universal.

FORMER GOA GOVERNOR JFR JACOB WRITES TO GOANET: just to enquire regarding
the protected forests along the goan western ghats. i understand that the
denuded portions are rejuvenating. the rivers are getting clearer. the
forests are home to a number of species of wildlife, including herds of
bison. a tiger was spotted just before i left. these forests are a treasure
house of numerous varieties of trees and medicinal plants -- remember d'orta
-- i have never seen anywhere such a profusion of cane, some over 80 feet
long. it was  my  intent to have a wildlife sanctuary as i wanted to
diversify tourism, giving it a broader and more varied base. sadly i had to
leave before i could implement it. goa has lovely beaches. to me the
forested ghats are even lovelier. trust that the opposition to the
notifications by some vested interests has died. may i suggest that people
like you and other dedicated environmentalists go ahead and persuade the
concerned authorities to have a wildlife sanctuary. the animals are there.
some more tigers would help. such a park would do much to invigorate both
domestic and international tourism.  incidentally the prime minister is head
of the wildlife board and a keen environmentalist.  i am sure that if you
all approach him he will look most favourably on the project. the torch is
now in the hands of the people of goa. my best regards and good wishes go
out to all of you. sincerely, jack jacob jfrjacob at hotmail.com

SITEWATCH : http://www.dinesh.com/india/goa.shtml

Home arrow India | dinesh.com |     Google ________________ [ Search ]

                                   Main Menu
      Bombay Scottish School
      Games
      India
      India News
      India Links
      Travel
      Humour
      About Me
      ___________________
      Contact Us
      Recommend This Site
      Sitemap

     India - Goa Welcome to the Goa page of the India website directory at
     www.dinesh.com. This page contains links to some of the best website
     links related to Goa. I add and remove entries on a regular basis and
     if you want to submit your site to me, please use the following free
     Search Engine Submission service offered by dinesh.com. Click here to
     recommend this site to your friends.

     Goacom.Com A website on information related to Goa.  Covers News,
     Villages, Hotels, Travels and Tours, Cuisine and lot more.

     Goainfosearch -A Website on Goa different from others offering a 24
     Hours Helpdesk, Complete Yellow Pages, Chatrooms, Free Goan Email
     Service, Music- MP3 and Real media, Community, Business, Hotels, Goan
     Food and much more.

     Goa International -Goa Online Shopping, Goa News, Realestate, Uniting
     the Goan Community, Pen pals, Free E-mail service , Free E-mail to
     Letter Service to Goa

     GoaWorld - Goa on your desktop.

     Golden Goa -A Good Site for Goans to know about Goa and also for people
     visiting Goa. A totally Non-Commercial Site on the Net. Also many
     services such as Free Classifieds, Free Homepages, Chat and lots more

     Indian Government's Page on Goa The Indian government's Page on
     information related to Goa.

     Goa-Interactive A nice site on Goa.  Covers a lot of topics.  Another
     site with Goa information

     Goa Shop -A site for Goans around the world away from their loved ones.
     Goashop has the solution send gifts greeting cards etc. Goashop has a
     photo classified section, Business Directory and Real Estate
     information.

     Goa-World.Net -All you need to know about Goa, Goans and Worldwide
     Activities.  Online Konkani Music Station. On Konkani Tiatr, Tiatrists
     and its History, On Konkani Films, Videos, Khell Tiatr and Non Stop
     Dramas, Goan Associations Worldwide (Gulf, USA, Europe, India), Goan
     Newsletters, Goa Pictures - its natural beauty, people, events,
     football, sports, etc.

CULINARY CORNER * Served special for Goanet, from Daisy Rodrigues, Calif.

||g |||o |||a |||n |||e |||t ||   Issue compiled by

Copyleft Goanet 2005 Creative Commons http://www.creativecommons.org
You may reproduce this ezine in its entirety, with credits retained.

Goanet, the net-worker of all networks. Stay in touch. Send in updates.