# Don't just read the news...discuss it. Learn more about Goa via Goanet #
# Goanet was setup in 1994 and has spent the last decade building a      #
# lasting Goan non-profit, volunteer-driven network in cyberspace.       #
# Visit the archives http://www.goanet.org/pipermail/goanet/             #
# To join, write to [EMAIL PROTECTED] and ask to join Goanet.         #
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

G o a n e t - N e w s   B y t e s      JUNE 10-11 2005   DATELINE: GOA

       /                                         d8   Founded in 1994
 e88~88e  e88~-_    /~~~8e  888-~88e  e88~~8e  _d88__ by Herman
 888 888 d888   i       88b 888  888 d888  88b  888   Carneiro
 "88_88" 8888   |  e88~-888 888  888 8888__888  888   ---------------
  /      Y888   ' C888  888 888  888 Y888    ,  888 http://www.goanet.org
 Cb       "88_-~   "88_-888 888  888  "88___/   "88_/ We're on your side!
   Y8""8D  http://www.goanet.org * http://www.goanet.org

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

IN TODAY'S EZINE: More from Goa's amazing (and ugly) world of selfish
politics... you might not believe what's happening. It's each man for
himself, and each party for itself. Who cares for the state and its people?
TV and your kids...  Caution note about mobiles and the monsoons (modems
too)... Tragic tale to two drowning deaths -- a five and four year old, who
went to swim without their granddad knowing it -- at Candolim... Chilli
chicken in two versions, from Daisy Rodrigues.... and a brief review of the
Voluntary Health Association of India's booklet on coronary heart disease.

JUNE 11 NEWS ***

o 7 Congress MLAs inducted into Rane cabinet. Those sworn-in were
  Luizinho Faleiro, Digambar Kamat, Dayanand Narvekar, Subhash Shirodkar,
  Atanasio Monserrate, Pandurang Madkaikar and Joaquim Alemao. (NT)
  Deshprabhu fumes over exclusion. Kawlekar stakes claim for berth. (H)
o No threat to Rane government, says Sharad Pawar. (NT)
o No threat to government, says Ravi Naik. (H)
o Government can do without the MGP, says Deshprabhu. (H)
o No equal representation to all talukas in the Rane ministry: Of the
  10 ministers, three hail from Salcete, while two each are from
  Tiswadi, Bardez and Ponda taluka. Rane himself hails from Sattari. (GT)
o Expansion disappoints some Congress MLAs. (NT)
o BJP to wait and watch on political situation. (NT)

JUNE 10 NEWS ***

o Nationalist Congress Party threatens of quit (coalition in Goa),
  wants berth for Mickky Pacheco. (NT)
o Congress-NCP set for showdown: Willy & Co threaten to pull out
  and form alternative government with BJP, MGP. Says Congress
  is more communal than BJP. (H)
o NCP takes blackmailing and Goa's politics to a new low. Sharad
  Pawar told Willy, go ahead and topple the government, says
  Surendra Furtado. (GT)
o UGDP in talks with Matanhy, says NCP is using blackmail. (H)
o Monsoon fishing ban begins in Goa today. (NT)
o Fisheries Department may reduce ban period. (H)
o Cutbona jetty in shutdown mode. (H)
o Repair work of Adil Shah Palace to be completed soon. (GT)
o Konkani Bhasha Mandal Margao annual general meeting at its office
  at Shankar Bhandari Marg, Vidyanagar on June 26 at 10.30 am.

        HOW MUCH TIME does your child spend watching TV?
        If it is more than two or three hours, you have got
        to put your foot down and regulate it. Studies have
        indicated that too much exposure to the media can
        dampen your child's academic achievement, writes Inacia
        Rodrigues in the Gomantak Times (Goa Skyline)

o MONSOON CAUTION FOR MOBILE USERS: * Keep your phone safe so water doesn't
  get in contact with it * Avoid carrying your cell in heavy rains * Use
  a pouch to protect your cell * If water goes into your phone,
  immediately remove the battery and contact your service centre.
  CAUTION FOR MODEM USERS: Each monsoon, so many modems across Goa get
  ruined due to lightening. At the slightest sign of lightening (usually
  at the start or end of the monsoons), please ensure you disconnect
  your phone and power cables from your modem, and your PC power supply
  cable too. There's no reason for you to lose a modem!

DEATHS & OBITUARIES

        TWO MINOR BROTHERS DROWN IN CANDOLIM SWIMMING POOL:
        In a heart-wrenching tragedy, two minor boys, both
        brothers from Dando-Candolim, drowned in the swimming pool
        in their neighbourhood resort, where they went to play
        around 5 pm. Benson and Edison Pereira, aged 5 and 4,
        were living with their parents who were at work, and
        their grandfather. Both brothers were noticed near the
        swimming pool of the resort by a labourer, who escorted
        them home and informed the grandfather about their visit
        to the swimming pool. Police said the grandfather told
        the labourer to latch the door from the outside. Soon,
        the grandfather raised an alarm that the boys had jumped
        out of the window and he could not trace them. The
        same labourer saw a small crowd searching for the boys,
        and, on suspicion, checked the pool. Police said the
        labourer saw what looked like the leg of a child in the
        murky water. He pulled at it and found one child. The
        other boy was also pulled out. One boy showed signs of life.
        But, on being taken to the Primary Health Centre at
        Candolim, they were pronounced 'brought in dead'.

ANJUNA: Benigno Agostinho Expectacao Dias.
BENAULIM: Rosa Magdalena Colaco (Magdu) of Pequeno Pulvaddo. b 1920
PANJIM: Smt Sumana Madhukar Prabhu, Kamadhenu Apts, Dr Dada Vaidya Rd
SANVORDEM: Menino Rosario of Khamamoll. b 1938.

        EX-ADEN: Iggi Inacio Jose Noronha of Aquem, Margao, b 1931
        Husband of Alba (ex-Guardian Angel), father/in-law of
        Leslie (Fulford I Ltd)/Aruna (architect), Fr Allan Noronha
        (SFX-Pilar), Shirley/Camillo De Souza (Canada). Son  of
        late Bruno/late Laura; son-in-law of late Paulo/late
        Rosa Costa; brother/in-law of Albert/Cynthia (Australia),
        Precy/late George, late Rosalind/late John, John/Josephine,
        Louis, Vincent, Merlin and Charles, brother-in-law of
        Nina/late francisco, Ornelas/Alva, Rene, Marie-Lourdes,
        Wilma/Constancio. Granddad of Blake.

GOA SPORTS

JUNE 10 SPORTS ***

o Vasco lose 0-11 to East Bengal, in the semis of the finals of the
  ONGC Junior National Football League. Vasco protested with 62
  minutes gone and while training 0-6, saying in their four para
  letter that eight East Bengal players were overage. (H)
o AIFF's ban on foreign players has led to the disbanding of
  Cabral Sports Club, the only Goan club to qualify for the
  second tier, which said they had lost two good foreign players. (H)
o Sao Miguel, Taleigao won 1-0 over Arpora SC to enter the Nerul
  panchayat cup semis. (H)
o Cuncolim Union defeated CRSC Navelim 3-2 via the tie-breaker to
  enter the finals of the Ambelim panchayat cup. (H)
o Youth of Dando beat St Michael, Goa Velha 3-2 to move into the
  the finals of the St Anthony's soccer at Firguembhat.(H)
o Benny XI Mapusa won 1-0 over Cortalim SC to advance in the
  Fernando Abranches Memorial soccer at Verna panchayat ground. (H)

JUNE 11 SPORTS ***

o GFA hopes to convince Cabral Churchill: Cabral SC has shut shop,
  and Churchill Brothers is on the verge of closing down, leaving
  the Goa Football Association in a tight spot. The thought of both
  these teams missing out on the Goa Professional League is scary
  for the GFA, who is trying its best to make both Cabral and
  Churchill sea reason. (H)
o Mohun Bagan to play East Bengal in Under-10 finals today. (H)
o Swapnil Asnodkar, the captain of the Goan Ranji team has had the
  priviledge of playing cricket with world renowned cricketers
  like Virendra Sehwag, Ashish Nehra and Harbhajan Singh, to
  name a few. His achievements are many and one among them is
  that he is the only Goan to score a double century in a game. (NT)

        12 YEARS LATER: India's proud footballers set foot on
        Pakistani soil late Friday night, for its first full-
        fledged tour of Pakistan. Chants of 'long live Pakistan-
        India friendship' could be heard. India last played an
        international match in Pakistan in 1993 at Lahore. (H)

o Carambolim soccer match gets physical: St Matthew SC of Azossim
  alleged that organisers of Carambolim soccer used physical force
  while "settling" a verbal argument between a player and a referee. (H)
o Calangute Association survived anxious moments, and won the
  Lakhanpal Gold 4-2 via tie-breaker over Sangolda Lightening. (H)
o Ambelim SC edged past Curtorim 1-0 in the Fernando Abranches Memorial
  tournament at Verna grounds. (H)
o Survivors Zuari defeated St Cruz 4-2 via the tie-breaker to enter
  the finals of St Anthony soccer at Firguem Bhatt. (H)
o St Anthony SC Colva earned the right to meet Young Strikers
  Benaulim in the finals of the X Cavelossim panchayat cup. (H)

NEW BOOKS RECEIVED: VHAG's Coronary Heart Disease

%A   Voluntary Health Association of Goa (VHAG)
%C   Panaji, Goa 403001
%D   Publication date not mentioned; recent
%I   VHAG, 1st Floor, Dada Building, Opposite Cafe Real, Adj Nike Showroom
     MG Road, Panaji 403001 Goa.
%K   Coronary heart disease, blood pressure, hyper-tension, risk factors,
     cholesterol, LDLs, HDLs, weight, stress, high-blood pressure.
     alcohol, smoking, passive smoking.
%P   28 pp, Rs 10
%T   Coronary Heart Disease: Patient Information Booklet

At the start itself, the reader is cautioned: "This booklet is not a
substitute for the advice your doctor, dietician, pharmacist, or
cardiologist may give you, based on his or her knowledge of your condition."
It is nevertheless, an interesting publication, more so since it is priced
at just Rs 10 and conveys its ideas in an easy-to-understand language. Like
most book(lets) in Goa, it might have probably not got adequately noticed
when published; and got out of print before it was adequately noticed! VHAG
is one of the networks of groups and individuals concerned about health in
Goa. They've done some interesting work, even if they could do with a higher
profile for their activities, and more involvement of the common citizen.
(Courtesy http://goabooks.swiki.net -- the Goa-books review site.)

Teach yourself Konkani * By Edward de Lima

At the post-office

Jane:   I wish to send this parcel by air-mail.
        Mhaka hem parcel airmailant dadunk zai.

Clerk:  It will be expensive.
        Tem tuka mharog podtelem.

Jane:   How much will it cost to send it?
        Tem dhadunk kitle poishe podtele?

Clerk:  Just a minute, I'll weight it and see.
        Matso rav. Hanv vozon korun sangtam.

For more comprehensive learning, check out Lima's book 'Spoken Konkani: A
Self-Learning Guide'. It is priced at Rs 100, and contains a better
rendering of the script, with accents to help you get the pronunciation
right. Contact Edward de Lima, 515 Lima Vaddo, Porvorim 403501 Phone
0091.832.2413573 Email [EMAIL PROTECTED] and do mention you're grateful that he
is sharing his work via Goanet to thousands of readers in cyberspace.

CULINARY CORNER * Daisy Rodrigues, California [EMAIL PROTECTED]

        CHILI CHICKEN: This recipe was requested from one of my readers.  I
        was not sure if she wanted the wet version or the fried version, so
        I have included both.

Chili Chicken (with gravy)
500 gms boneless chicken breast fillets
4 long green chilies, slit
Oil for cooking
Salt to taste
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp ginger paste
2 tsp garlic paste
1 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp kalonji (onion seeds)
1/2 tsp white cumin seeds
Juice of 2 lemons
2 chopped onions
2 chopped tomatoes
Few curry leaves
3 tbsp chopped coriander leaves

Marinate chicken for 20 minutes with juice of 1 lemon and 1 tsp garlic
paste.  Remove seeds from 2 green chilies. Lightly fry in oil and then
remove.  Heat oil in a pan; add curry leaves, kalonji, cumin seeds and cook
for 2 minutes. Add all remaining spices, ginger, garlic, onions, little
water and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Add chicken and fry until brown. Add
tomatoes and cook for few minutes on high. Cover and cook till almost tender
for 10 to 12 minutes.  Add fried green chilies, coriander, juice of
remaining lemon and simmer for 5 to 6 minutes.  Garnish with finely sliced
ginger, remaining green chilies (jalapenos)-optional, lemons and serve hot.

Chili Chicken (Dry): 500 grams of chicken (boneless and chopped into medium
pieces), 2 tablespoons soy sauce, 2 tablespoons of ginger/garlic paste, 2
teaspoons chili powder, 2 teaspoons pepper, 4 or 5 green chilies, salt to
taste, 2 tablespoons of vinegar, Oil for frying (adding 1/4 teaspoon of
ajinamoto will give it a nice taste, but a lot of people prefer not to), oil
for frying.

Clean chicken and marinate with all the ingredients, except green chilies
and oil. Keep aside in a refrigerator for 2-4 hours. Chop the green chilies
into small pieces. Heat oil and fry the chilies till almost brown. Remove
and keep aside. In the same oil, fry the chicken in batches till cooked and
browned. Drain and serve sprinkled with the fried green chilies.  Enjoy!

||g |||o |||a |||n |||e |||t ||   Issue compiled by

Copyleft Goanet 2005 Creative Commons http://www.creativecommons.org
You may reproduce this ezine or extracts, provided credit is given to both
the original source and Goanet ( http://www.goanet.org )

Goanet, the net-worker of all networks. Stay in touch. Send in updates.