# Don't just read the news...discuss it. Learn more about Goa via Goanet #
# Goanet was setup in 1994 and has spent the last decade building a      #
# lasting Goan non-profit, volunteer-driven network in cyberspace.       #
# Visit the archives http://www.goanet.org/pipermail/goanet/             #
# To join, write to [EMAIL PROTECTED] and ask to join Goanet.         #
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

G o a n e t - N e w s   B y t e s   JUNE 22, 2005   DATELINE: GOA

       /                                         d8   Founded 1994
 e88~88e  e88~-_    /~~~8e  888-~88e  e88~~8e  _d88__ by Herman
 888 888 d888   i       88b 888  888 d888  88b  888   Carneiro
 "88_88" 8888   |  e88~-888 888  888 8888__888  888   -----------
  /      Y888   ' C888  888 888  888 Y888    ,  888
 Cb       "88_-~   "88_-888 888  888  "88___/   "88_/
  ya
    Y8""8D  http://www.goanet.org

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

o Rain paralyses capital city. Traffic congestion creates
  chaos. (Gomantak Times)
o People bear the brunt of massive rain-induced traffic jam
  at the Kadamba bus stand in Panjim. (NT)
o Margao faces waterlogging due to downpour on Tuesday.(NT)

        Water, water everywhere! Normal life was
        thrown out of gear on Tuesday as heavy rains
        lashed the state, causing water-logging in all
        the major cities and low-lying areas. Rainfall
        has already crossed the normal mark of 48 cms,
        inspite of coming in late this year. It was
        virtually a deluge. Corporation of the City of
        Panjim and GSIDC (the infrasturcture development
        corporation) balmed each other for not doing
        their work properly. (H)

        Mungul's newly-built bridge, in Margao, was
        thrown open for vehicular traffic in a hurry,
        sans any inauguration on Tuesday noon, as
        rising waters of the River Sal submerged the
        temporary traffic diversion constructed over
        the river. (Herald)

o Civil service exams prove to be a hard nut to crack for
  Goan students. (NT)
o Upto 90 to 95% of Goa government expenditure on education is
  spent on salaries and other perks to school teachers at
  at levels, and only 4 to 5 percent of the budget is left
  for various educational schemes and improvements. (NT)
o Goa to set up State Council of Educational Research and
  Training soon. (NT)
o Mickky's shack burning case verdict on July 5. (H)
o Panjim eateries still violating hygiene norms. (GT)
o BJP , Janata Party flay hike in petrol, diesel prices. (GT)
o Goa footballer Bruno Coutinho to receive Rotary award. (GT)

        Mangalore Konkani writers oppose dual-script
        use. Konkani Writers' Forum president Dr Edward
        Nazareth said there is no literature produced
        in the Devanagari script in Karnataka state.
        "If we start teaching Konkani in Devanagari,
        we wil have to import the literature in
        Devanagari from Goa to teach our students,"
        Dr Nazareth feared. (H)

o BSNL mobile calls between Maharashtra and Goa are no longer
  at long-distance rates, but at the cost of a local call.
o Feast of St John the Baptist on June 24. It will be
  marked at Bhutea-Bhat Club at Vasco and Mestawaddo.(NT)
o Deputy CM visits plasma pyrolysis incinerator GMC project. NT
o Cause of the fire at the main branch of the Madgaum Urban
  Co-op Bank still not ascertained. (NT)
o Tourist Taxi Union Vasco urges Dr Wilfred de Souza, tourism
  minister, to take action against 'illegal' tourist guides.(NT)
o Herald opens an office at Canancona, near the old bus stand.(H)
o Padre Conceicao College of Engineering is offering GNU/Linux
  courses from June-end. In basic system and network administ-
  ration, advanced system and network admin, and
  implementing network security.
o Small Industries Service Institute Margao offers a number of
  diploma courses in computer applications, electronics
  and hardware, network administration, chip-level
  servicing, office automation, computer application,
  mobile technology and Autocad. Ph 27 308 73 or 309 7170.
o Japanese film Ran (Akira Kurosawa) screened in Margao on June 22.
o Italian certificate course at GU at Goa College of Home
  Sciences Miramar. Conducted by Dr Emanuela Carponi, a
  highly qualified native speaker. Fees Rs 1000 for the year-long
  course, both for beginners and advanced. Forms at Goa Univ.(H)
o 275 metres of land of the Comunidade of Carambolim is being
  taken over to augment the Opa water supply scheme and lay
  a conveying mains pipe from Opa to Panjim via Carambolim.

o Navhind Times' science and ecology page has an article on
  ham radio, and personal digital assistants (by Alan Andrews).
  Also Nandkumar Kamat, highlighting the ture picture of Goa
  power situation. It says: "The so-called power surplus state,
  Goa, has a very old and unreliable power transmission network
  within the state... The real problems occur on low voltage
  lines. These run into thousands of cable kilometres."

Deaths and remembrances

CARMONA: Maria Rosita 'Alice' Dias e Viegas b 1933. Wife of
late Lucio Viegas. Mother/in-law of Sr Nifa (PBVM), Sr Servita
(PBVM), Joseph/Maria, Cynthia/Eufemiano, Stanley/Anna.
Of Batty, Viegas, Carmona. Funeral June 22 at 3.30 pm.

CORTALIM/QUELLOSSIM: Esperance Rodrigues. Wife of Lodovico, mother/
in-law of Lawrence/Sharita, Catherine/Simon Fernandes (Varca/USA),
Emilia/Anthony (Nuvem). Expired peacefully.

EX-KAMPALA, UGANDA: John Manuel Nazareth of Bombay. Husband
of Mary, father/in-law of Agnes/Derrick, Sandra/Rowland, Domnic/
Cynthia. Funeral on June 23 for OL of Good Hope Church, Candolim.

MARGAO: Wenceslau 'Wency' Dias of Pedda, Margao. b 1953.
Husband of Argentina Viegas e Dias, father of Juliana.
Son of Thomas and Fermina Dias. Brother/in-law of Alzira/
Sebastiao Bonamis, late Irene, Esmeralda, Roque/Gemma,
brother-in-law of late Jose/Emma, Orlando/Pearl, Inez.

NERUL: Janette Edith D'Souza. b 1929. Wife of late Anthony
Bonifacio D'Souza (Sunny), mother/in-law of Darryl/Vireca,
Cherryl/Hugo, Martin/Marica. passed away peacefully on May 20.
Funeral leaves her Rautavaddo residence on June 23 at 3.30 pm.

ORLIM: Condolences over the death of Maria Augsta Fernandes,
social worker.

First death anniversary of Prabhakar Angle, businessman and
author of books. Angle family.

Goa sports

Sangolda Lightening champs: Sangolda won the Fernando Abranches
memorial trophy soccer defeating Ambelim SC 4-2 via the
tie-breaker at the Verna new grounds. (H)

Maina in semis: Maina SC of Curtorim edged past hosts
United Boys of Dando, Colva to move into the semis of the
13th Fransa Super Soccer at Benaulim. (H)

SSC Loutolim advance: SSC Loutolim squeezed past Young Strikers
Benaulim 6-4 via the tie breaker in the Xth Muriel Faleiro
tourney at Nuvem church grounds. (H)

Cooper test on July 3: Goa Football Assn has shifted the venue
of the cooper test from PJN Stadium Fatorda to Campal Grounds.

Body building championships: Health Care Fitness Park, Tisk-
Usgao will organise the second all-Goa bodybuilding championships
at Tisk-Usgao on June 26 at PDA Complex. (H)

        Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) football
        team captain and striker H Dayanand
        allegedly committed suicide at his residence
        at HAL Colony, Bangalore. (H)

Tiatr in Goa

*Soumsar Sudhorlo*, written and directed by M Boyer. With
Ben Evangelisto as Jacinto Vaz. *Argam Tuka Dhonia* by Tony Dias.
Jack Rodson's *Mhojim Porbim Tuka*. Roseferns' *Gorv* (Pride).
Prince Jacob's *Roddo Naka*. *Bhair Sorat* by the AIR trio
-- Anthony de Maddel, Inacio de Canacona and Robert de Calvem.

Culinary corner * From Daisy Rodrigues, Calif. [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Pineapple Upside Down Cake.  This cake melts in your mouth.
Mixing a cake from scratch is not at all hard and kids find
the concept of this cake fun, they particularly enjoy the
pineapple rings at the bottom. Give it a try –- it just might
become a family favorite.

1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup sugar
7 pineapple rings (fresh or canned)

For the cake:  1/2 cup butter, 2/3 cup sugar,
1 teaspoon vanilla, 2 eggs, 2/3 cups all-purpose flour,
2 teaspoons baking powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 2/3 cup
milk

Upside down part: Grease a 9-inch cake pan.  Melt the butter
in another pan on low heat, and then add the sugar. Stir
constantly until the mixture thickens and bubbles. Pour the
mixture into the bottom of the cake pan. Layer the pineapple
rings on top of the butter/sugar blend.  The Cake Part: Cream
the butter in a mixing bowl. Gradually add the sugar, vanilla, and
eggs. Beat until the mixture is well blended. Combine all the dry
ingredients in another bowl. Add this to the butter mixture, then
add the milk, beating until smooth. Spread evenly over
The Upside Down Part.  Bake for about 40 minutes at 350F. and cool.
Then, place a large rimmed serving plate over the cake pan, and
invert both dishes so that the cake transfers to the plate and
the pineapple rings are visible on top.  This cake makes a
beautiful presentation that is also very tasty. See, that
was easy, wasn’t it?

||g |||o |||a |||n |||e |||t ||   Issue compiled by

Copyleft Goanet 2005 Creative Commons http://www.creativecommons.org
You may reproduce this ezine in its entirety, with credits retained.

Goanet, the net-worker of all networks. Stay in touch.