[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

       /                                         d8   Founded in
 e88~88e  e88~-_    /~~~8e  888-~88e  e88~~8e  _d88__ 1994 by
 888 888 d888   i       88b 888  888 d888  88b  888   Herman
 "88_88" 8888   |  e88~-888 888  888 8888__888  888   Carneiro
  /      Y888   ' C888  888 888  888 Y888    ,  888
 Cb       "88_-~   "88_-888 888  888  "88___/   "88_/
   Y8""8D http://www.goanet.org

-----GOANET NEWS BYTES * FEBRUARY 21, 2006 * DATELINE GOA-------

          CAPELA DA NOSSA Senhora do Monte in Old Goa will see its
          courtyard come alive to the sounds of Western and Indian
          classical music, when the fourth Monte Musical Festival
          takes off at this panoramic location on March 3. This
          festival ends on March 5. (Herald)

o Amidst fears of bird-flue, fish has become dear in the markets
  and gone beyond the reach of fish-loving Goans. (H)
o Headlines in Gomantak Times: Goa chickens out (News: No
  poultry and poultry products to enter state for 10 days.)
  The chicken and egg situation. Tourism industry refuses
  to cry 'fowl', but sn't yet cocksure.

o Some 227 persons filed their nominations for the 30-seater
  Corporation of the City of Panjim, which goes to the polls
  on March 12. On the one side are Atanasio 'Babush'
  Monserrate's men, and in opposition to them is an alliance
  comprising an unlikely sort -- Somnath Zuwarkar's supporters,
  the BJP and the NCP! Contesting on the (controversial)
  Monserrate's panel are Nelson Cabral (Ward 2), Carolina Po (3),
  Levino Anthony Pereira (4), Yatin Parekh (14), Tony Rodrigues
  (16), Uday Madkaikar (17), Mangaldas Naik (22), John Francis
  Rodrigues (23) and Avinash Bhosale (26). On the Zuwarkar
  -BJP-NCP panel are Surendra Furtado (10), Ruth Furtado (9),
  Dayanand Karapurkar (4), Milind Bharne (5), Deepak Mhapsekar
  (14), Santosh Kuncolienkar (16), John Menino D'Cruz (19),
  Deodita D'Cruz (20), Rudresh Coodankar (23).
  Citizen's voice: "I wish the new councillor is not corrupt".

o Goa secretariat's minister's block will be inaugurated at
  Porvorim on Feb 21. This came up on 3600 sq mts of land,
  and the project cost Rs 90 million (Rs 9 crore).
o Goa State AIDS Control Society, the ILO and the Travel and
  Tourism Association of Goa held a conference on HIV/AIDS
  for stakeholders in the hospitality and tourism sectors. (H)
o Poultry imports into Goa banned for 10 days. (H)
o Shortage of poultry felt in Goa, chicken prices up Rs5/kg.
o Festa de Leques at Sinquetim-Navelim celebrates its 51st
  traditional carnival dance, Feb 26 (Sunday) from 8 pm.
o Lorna not to feature at the Margao carnival. Differences
  creep up about celebrating the festival. (H)
o Mapusa Carnival from Feb 24 to 28. Lynx, Renegades, Symphony
  India, The Revivals and other bands to perform. Also Lorna,
  Trio Tropicana, Lulu Live, Ben Evangelist, Bonny Rock,
  Gurudatta Shirali, Shan Melodies, William/Hirve and troubles.
o Residents of Ambaji and Chandrawado in Fatorda and Kirbhat
  in Nuvem will get a temporary reprieve from the movement
  of heavy duty vehicles along their interior roads. (H)
o Dalgado Konkani Academy, the pro-Romi Konkani group, has
  got a new office premises at the Government Polytechnic
  Extension Wing, Altinho. Inauguration today. (H-Advt)
o Resentment brewing in Margao Council. (GT)
o Book released on Shree Manguesh, to help devotees understand
  the nuances of the festivities at the Mangueshi temple. (GT)
o Telephone lines out of order in Curchorem. (GT)
o Rs 4000 fake currency notes seized in Porvorim. (GT)
o GT Edit: Is Parrikar scarred of Babush?
o Ramesh Lad's *Motveo Katha*, a Konkani translation of
  Kannada short stories, was among the 20 winners of the
  Sahitya Akademi prize for translation 2005. (NT)
o High Court restrains Goa State Co-op Bank from taking
  major decisions. (NT)
o No breakthrough in Mashem dacoity case. (NT)
o Senior Citizens' Day to be marked annually on Oct 1. (NT)
o Apply for Fulbright Fellowships www.fulbright-india.org
  Last date for applications by July 1, 2005.
o VASCO UPDATES:
  Water crisis continues to plague Alto-Bogmalo (H)
  Vasco has no full-time Chief Officer. (GT)

EDUCATION

o A CD will be released soon for students wanting to answer the
  Common Entrance Test, the entry barrier for professional
  education in Goa. The CD will be priced at Rs 50.
o Third MBBS part I results declared. (H)

UNUSUAL ADVERT

I Nezia Gonsalves, residing at H No 65, Santan Talaulim, Ilhas
Goa would like to change my parents name Gonsalves Peter
Raimond to Pedro Raimondo Gonsalves and Gonsalves Preciosa to
Preciosa de Souza on my passport bearing No B 3599035 issued on
20/06/01 at Panaji, Goa.

WEBSITE LINK

Goa Shipyard Limited: www.goashipyard.com or www.goashipyard.co.in
National Institute of Oceanography www.nio.org

REACTING TO THE NEWS

o IT habitat to generate 20,000 jobs, claims Dayanand Narvekar. (H)
  [Goanet News Bytes' point: It was claimed that the Verna Electronic
  City would generate "upto" 10,000 jobs. Today the jobs seem mostly
  unsuited to local skills and payment expectations, while they're
  baking cakes and printing newspapers in the 'Electronics City'.]

DEATH AND REMEMBRANCES

CARANZALEM: Maria Cirila da Silva, Querant, ex-Irri Dept
CAVELOSSIM: Cruz Rosario Fernandes, RodriguesWard b 1922
CURTORIM: Filomena Cabral, Sucklem b 1924
DRAMAPUR: Minguel Piedade Vaz b 1920
DIVAR: Maria Casimira Furtado e D'Cruz b 1937 of Naroa
POMBURPA: Peter Tito Fernandes, Aradi. b 1940
SARZORA: Tony Nazareth Fernandes, Urda-Boim b 1969

CARMONA: Olinda Dias, first anniversary
GUIRIM: Mathew Rodrigues, Perxett, b 1932, 2nd anniv
NUVEM: Rosalina Borges, Povoacao, 1st anniversary
TALEIGAO: Umakant Akki, first anniversary
UTORDA: Filomena E Fernandes, Lourdes Bar & Store. Month's.

CULINARY CORNER Special from Daisy Rodrigues [EMAIL PROTECTED]

All about Bahrain:  Lamb is the principal meat here, while
chicken, turkey and duck are also eaten. Arak (grape spirit
flavored with aniseed) and beer are the most common drinks.
Typical Arabic food is similar to that in other Middle
Eastern countries. The traditional food includes e.g. mezze
as a starter and sweet desserts like umm ali (baked gratiné
of milk with nuts and raisins) or baklawa (a cake with honey
and pistachios). Main courses are often meat or fish with
vegetables or rice, e.g. makbous (spicy lamb meat with rice),
shish tahouk (grilled chicken on a skewer with a yogurt-,
garlic- or tomato sauce) or sayadiaya (fish with rice and
tomato- or onion sauce).

(Fakhitha Bel Laban) - Leg of Lamb with Yogurt 1 leg of lamb,
1 1/2 cups yogurt, 2 tablespoons tomato paste, 6 cloves
crushed garlic (optional), 1 teaspoon each: black pepper,
cardamom, cinnamon, cumin, saffron, salt to taste, 9
tablespoons corn oil, 3 tablespoons mayonnaise.

Clean the meat, slash in several places and put in a baking
dish. Mix the spices, salt, garlic, yogurt, tomato paste,
mayonnaise and oil. Spread half of the mixture over the meat.
Put the meat back in the dish, cover with foil, and put in
the oven at 350° until the meat is cooked. Just before
serving pour the remaining yogurt mixture on top of the meat.

(Qahwa Arabeya) - Arabic Coffee

3 cups water, 3 tablespoons cardamom (coarsely ground), 2
tablespoons of Arabic coffee, 1/4 teaspoon saffron
(optional). Boil the water in a pot. Add the coffee to the
water and bring to a boil over low heat. Remove from the heat
for five minutes to allow the coffee to settle. Put the
cardamom in the pot, strain the coffee into it and add the
saffron. Bring back to boil once and serve. Serves 8-10
persons.

||g |||o |||a |||n |||e |||t ||   Issue compiled by

Copyleft Goanet 2005 http://www.creativecommons.org You may
reproduce this ezine in its entirety, with credits retained.

Goanet, the net-worker of all networks. Stay in touch.