I am looking for one essay/article on Inquisition and Hinduvta, which I saw on
one of research websites, that Teo uploaded. Forgot the link, and would like
anyone to post it.
-/
Bit surprised that the piece by Bravo Lourdes da Costa, in Sunday's OHeraldo,
had the word "controversial" in the headline. She pointed out two articles,
Ranes of Sattari, and Church and Goan Liberation.
These don't seem to me as controversial. The Ranes article relied on historical
background and references, and the Rane clan have enough money and political
power to get a historian to defend them. But they contemplated defamation
charges but never went firward with it.
As for the Liberation piece, it stradles the past with the present, till after
the first election. What's so controversial in that framing the Church as a
supporter of the Portuguese rule?
It was the Portuguese who brought Christianity to India and helped sustain and
spread it. The facts are there and Teo hasn't invented them to butteress his
vuewpoint. From him thiugh, the Church was structurally caste-based with the to
with the top layer of Goan society. His attempt was to see to Church or
socio-economic history from below.
In a way, he can be considered a Goan Apostle of Subaltern studies in Goa,
though the field lies largely unexplored. His economic history unravelled the
bottom layers of society under Portuguese colonialism. The anti-Portuguese tag,
so common in India to call anything and everything from slogans, journalism to
history hat tackles the religious/communal ills of the country, applied to Teo
is unwarranted and lacks rigidity of temperament to understand the implied
message and penetrative thinking of someone engaged in understanding the impact
of colonialism.
 Subalternity travelled from West to East, and Rajit Guha and his group looked
at Indian histi in new lens. Since I haven't read Teo's Book,
Postcolonialisation, which he saud he posted to me but I never received it. In
an email, he has said it was collection of published articles.
Now that he's gone, the vultures or the scavengers can descend.

Eugene Correia

Sent from my iPad