Is it not "noteres", the Portuguese Christians. During the Golden Jubilee
of Queen Victoria, these Christians asked the British to be called "East
Indians." Even children of mixed parentage, Indo-British, in Madras, now
Chennai, and Calcutta now Kolkata, were called East Indians, then later
they began calling themselves Anglo-Indianns.

Eugene