In which case, we can safely leave Goa-related books to be discussed in
Timbuktoo.
So, why produce them at all? FN
The above is a bit of a shocker!Why are Goa-related books not good books?And if
they are not - the authors have work to do.I have a sneaky feeling Fred is
saying: Goans are not book buyers and readers.
The feedback I get is that most readers of our book 'Insights into Colonial
Goa' are academics who quote it and then Academic Edu tells me how many have
quoted all our published work! (close to 4,000).
In the U-tube posted by FN on the short presentation of authors telling readers
they should buy their works here are some gentle suggestions:
1. The authors should come across more authoritative.2. The author should state
what specific issue(s) the book addresses not presented by other publications
on the topic.     This to me is a good book.  The author emphasizes in their
writing what's new they discovered in their research.  3. I think some timeless
books on Goa's pressing issues should continue to be showcased. Specifically,
Machado's       book on the Inquisition published in 2022. 4. I would
definitely discourage negative books about Goa and Goans.
A book fair is also a tourist attraction so all should be welcome; and it
should at least financially break even for all those sponsoring it.  Perhaps
the first couple of days of the book fair may need a price of admission,
programs for serious readers, and avoid over-crowding.  The next few days can
be open for all to enjoy the tamasha.
Just my few cents on this weekend!GL    On Saturday, February 17, 2024 at